My Poor Betta Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by kashi009, Jun 26, 2019.

1. kashi009

kashi009New MemberMember

One day I looked closer at him seeing him not as energetic as he usually was and noticed his entire top fin (not sure what it's called) was gone. He is a very dark color so it is hard to even tell it is missing. So assuming he had fin rot, I quickly put in betta revive because people seem to swear by it but...it has been a week and he hasn't gotten better. Actually worse...I really want to save him if I can but I'm not sure what else to use. I've heard the "cure alls" at Petsmart etc aren't very good and I need something stronger. Does someone have any suggestions? I tried to do research but all the forums I found suggested things that aren't available anymore. I'd prefer to start his treatment today if there's something I can get at Petsmart. Any help would be appreciated. For reference he is in a small 1 gallon without any gravel or filter because it is my "treatment" tank. I've been changing the water every day but no notable difference.

2. Demeter

DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Can you post photos of the betta?

What tank was he in before you put him in the bowl? Are both tanks heated and filtered? Any idea what the parameters are (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)?

I would probably try for an antibiotic if the area isn’t fuzzy (fungus). Also treating in a 1gal bowl can be difficult with measuring and keeping the ammonia levels down, at minimum I treat bettas in a half full 5gal bucket.

3. OP
    OP
    kashi009

kashi009New MemberMember

Yeah he has defiantly gotten worse. I can't see any fuzz and was wondering if why the treatment wasn't working was because of it being a fungus. He also has spots on his tail. Wouldn't changing the water change the nitrite, nitrate and ammonia? I'll try to do a test but take awhile for it to show since it is the liquid APA test. Problem is I don't have any other tank that's bigger to put him in. All the ones I have are 1 gallon except the 10 which has other fish in it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2019
  4. wrs2

wrs2Well Known MemberMember

Oh my. He looks miserable. If it was me, I would euthanize him at this point.

5. Demeter

Looking at the pictures I think he is too far gone. The fin rot has turned to body rot and he has a systemic infection judging from the pine-coned scales. If he were mine I’d euthanize him as well. Sorry for the bad news.

6. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

I am very sorry to hear that your betta isn't well, and I also agree on euthanasia being best at this point.

7. OP
    OP
    kashi009

kashi009New MemberMember

I figured as much to be honest. It's always been a war since I got him. I'll probably give up fish after this since I just don't think I have the right environment. I've been thinking that it probably is time to put him down but didn't know how to since you can't just take a fish to the vet. But the problem is I don't have any of this and none of us drink vodka is there any other way without him suffering any more than he is already?

Also the water tests are all fine so...I honestly can't figure out how he keeps getting fin rot. Even in the bigger tank he would get it instantly as soon as I put him in. Sigh guess betta aren't for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2019
  8. Demeter

I’d generally only do this for smaller fish but it has worked with adult bettas for me.

Get a cup of ice and water, mix it so the water is very cold and drop the fish in. Within a few seconds he should pass.