My Poor Beta Important

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Ziggythecat, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Ziggythecat

Ziggythecat Valued Member Member

This female has been through so much. She had bad fin rot when I got her, and now she is being bullied by one of my swordtails. I had to put her in a vase because I didn’t have a bowl, but my question is, will her tail grow back? It was bitten down to the base. And she has some scales missing, will they grow back. She is very spunky and eating, just a little annoyed that her vase is kinda small. This home is only temporary.

Image1523991683.938780.jpg

Image1523991731.527003.jpg

Image1523991775.459766.jpg

2. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

If it doesn't get infected then it should grow back. I suggest you at least get a breeder basket (large as possible) and put that in the main tank for her. A vase will not stay warm enough and the water quality will go bad within a day. You must keep with water clean to prevent infection.

This is a prime example of why bettas don't do so hot in active community tanks. I say bottom feeders or no tank mates at all. I'd get her a 5gal tank kit when possible.

3. OP
    OP
    Ziggythecat

I am getter her a larger tank tomorrow. Can I put any type of medicine on her like hydrogen peroxide?

4. Rainbows and Fishes

Rainbows and Fishes Valued Member Member

I think sometimes the best medicine you can give to an injured fish is clean water, rest and a good high quality food. Make sure she has a place to hide, floating plants can be a great addition as they allow your fish to access air and food without too much effort. I'm sure with your care she'll heal in no time
    :emoji_thumbsup:

5. OP
    OP
    Ziggythecat

Thanks

6. Iridium_2256

Iridium_2256 Valued Member Member

It really sucks to see this happen to fish you love, I lost my two favorite angels, my koi to an infected injury and his mate to heartbreak :(. I hope your betta pulls through!

7. DillonPhoenix

DillonPhoenix Valued Member Member

If it was my fish I would do a Methylene blue dip to try and stop the tail from getting infected, the blue colour sticks to any fin rot or wound and helps it heal. This is what I have used for years when any of my Bettas have shown signs of getting fin rot and this usually stops it before it has a chance to get too bad!

8. OP
    OP
    Ziggythecat

This little girl has been getting bullied, so I got her a new set up. Her dorsal fin seams to be healing, but I am very concerned with her tail and bottom(?) fins. They have been looking better, but now some spots have turned a lighter brown color. And even the rays are missing. I feel like fin rot has come back due to her stress of being bitten, but I am currently using melafix. Please tell me if there is anything else I can do.

Salt?
    Hp treatment?
    Baths?

And is it ok if she likes to sit on her moss ball?
    Not rubbing against anything, but I’m concerned.

A few days before
    IMG_6935.jpg

Her color has come back a lot

Her today
    Image1524326038.080627.jpg

9. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Stop the Melafix. It's basically useless, and some say it can harm a betta's labyrinth organ.

What attacked her?

I would be doing daily 50% water changes. Keep the temp 78 - 80 F.

Sitting on the moss ball sounds normal to me.

10. OP
    OP
    Ziggythecat

I really need a new thermometer it is very broken. My male swordtail. Everything was very peaceful until I went away for a weekend. It happened very suddenly and she didn’t look like she wailing last long so I quickly set up a tank with her other tank water.

Image1524331068.353454.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2018
  11. TexasDomer

Do you have a heater in the tank? Can you get another thermometer?

I wouldn't keep bettas in communities tanks for this reason. Do you have a tank she can stay in permanently?

12. Katie13

Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

I keep a lot of Bettas in communities, but some species in particular are known to be nippy. Swordtails tend to be one of those species.

13. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

Water is too cold, shoot for 80F. There are good signs of healing, but sometimes when parts of the fin are too damaged the body will kill it off and start anew. Seeing as the top part of the tail was nipped down to the body, you need to be very careful to prevent infection.

Just keep the water clean, doing daily water changes. You should get a heater, bettas are not cold water fish.

14. OP
    OP
    Ziggythecat

Yes thank you everyone! I have a heater and am setting it up. My Betta is now safe in a 4 gallon. I got a new thermometer for her. Also I just did a 50% about an hour ago.

15. OP
    OP
    Ziggythecat

Hi again I was just wondering if my Betta has been biting her fins? I came to look at her this morning and a piece of her fins had been removed??

IMG_7304.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2018
  16. TexasDomer

I would think it's more likely it fell off (her fins are still in bad shape) than her biting them off.

17. OP
    OP
    Ziggythecat

thank you

My poor Betta has been through a lot for those who are returning to this fish. She is practically falling apart. Her scales are raising and falling off, and her bottom fins are getting worse and worse. (She was attacked by my swordtail in her own tank now, don’t want to talk about it) Image1524430500.213501.jpg

The temp is around 80 degrees
    The ph is 7.6
    Ammonia nitrites and nitrates are all 0.

I am pretty sure she isn’t going to make a recovery, but I am so hopeful.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2018
  18. Ms rose

Ms rose Well Known Member Member

If you parameters are all at zero the problem is your tank isn't cycled which is ammonia burning the fish

19. OP
    OP
    Ziggythecat

I tried to use her previous tank water from my community tank. Did that not do it’s job?? Am I not doing this right, she was injured before she was put in this tank

20. Ms rose

Ms rose Well Known Member Member

With the stats you gave it looks like the water didn't help. Plus very little if any at all bb live in the water column. I'm sorry she was damaged when you get her but unfortunately it won't get better till you establish a bb colony. I suggest getting bb in a bottle to kick start and do daily at least 25 %water change.

Also with bb in a bottle read and do everything the directions say otherwise it's a waist. More ppl will chime in in time and give you even most suggestions

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice