My Pond Is Under Attack !!!!

fishi04

Valued Member
Reaction score
I live near a forest so I put two wire meshes
On top of my pond. Lately I've been noticing that there are fish carcasses and my little Fountain has been bitten multiple times and detached of its original position. So I set up a camera
Please help !!!
1569151646094.jpg
IMG-20190922-WA0000.jpg

Zigi Zig

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello
Absolutely agreed Heron"s will catch your fish and mess up pond you can always tell Heron was there :)..
There is few thinks you can do such as put up heron decoy. A decoy like the Pond Logic® Blue Heron however he is now knowing your location and Heron will always come back so decoy will stop work over time..Try to provide hiding places for your fish or create obstacles fishing line around the pond. Herons land around the perimeter of a pond and walk up to the water it actually worked for me period time on beginning but since my pond is 55K.Gal I do like them now to come up and catch some of my small fish at least they control my stock and my pond won't get over populated.. :).. but thy have never catch any of my larger fish..

CHJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fountain eaters?
I'm trying to guess what has teeth that would match the bite marks. Racoons? Why would they try to eat a fountain?

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
CHJ said:
Fountain eaters?
I'm trying to guess what has teeth that would match the bite marks. Racoons? Why would they try to eat a fountain?
most likely the heron jabbing its sharp pointy beak into the filter while trying to catch the fish darting around.

CHJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Skavatar said:
most likely the heron jabbing its sharp pointy beak into the filter while trying to catch the fish darting around.
Hmm I was thinking the V shapes were herons but some of the other patterns look like teeth.

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It probably isn't cheap, but there's a channel on YouTube called Bamma Bass (I think!) with a large and gorgeous pond. They installed a system with a movement sensor and a sprinkler/water jet thingy... basically, when the birds or any other critters approach the perimeter of the pond, they get blasted with water. Seems like they'd learn to fish elsewhere, so an effective solution and more aesthetically pleasing than netting, but of course, is it worth it for every pond? Probably not.;) Seemed worth mentioning though. :)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom