My pond in the fall

Discussion in 'Ponds' started by Matt B, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

I was just outside playing with my daughter and thought the fall foliage on the japanese maples looked nice so I took a couple of pictures. :)

Pond:
    [​IMG]

A few of my Goldies. :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Looks great! How big are the fishies? :3

3. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing :)
    Carol

4. OP
    OP
    Matt B

The orange/white comet is approx. 8" with tail, I have an all orange comet whos almost 10" but I couldn't get a good one of him. The commons range from 4" to 6-7" the smaller ones were born in this pond.

I used to have a beautiful gigantic all white common female who was all of 8 or 9 inches and like 2' across but a heron ate her.

5. Akari_32

Aww, mean birdy!

My two biggest commons are around 9 inches (male and female). My smaller ones are 3 to 5 inches. No babies for me yet, but I expect Seeking to start bugging Feebas in the spring :p Hopefully Milotic and Harvey/Dante/Bruce will be old enough to breed in the spring, as well, but they are still 4 and 5 inches yet, so who's to say. On the other hand, they come from a very good local pond store... Only time will tell, really LOL

6. OP
    OP
    Matt B

You've got some good sized ones! The commons just look like total tanks when they get that big. I wouldn't put it past your younger ones to give it a shot. Imo ponds provide all kinds of natural stimulae to that end. It seems in the springtime all of mine are either trying to get in to breed or resting because they just spent a bunch of time trying to breed.

My poor girls never get a rest, they are constantly in the center or a swarming ball going around the perimeter if the pond. I once lost an overzealous male who, in his enthusiasm, squirmed on top of the pile and fell out over the lip, he didn't get to pass on his flying fish genes. ;)

7. Akari_32

Hopefully I've got more females than males (or at least an even number of both)! I've seen goldfish go at it, and those boys aren't very nice :;laughing I've pics of the little monsters in my blog. No UTD ones of the big guys, because they are hard to catch, but lots of the smaller ones. Mostly the Fancies in the 65, though lol They are easy to catch because the pond is so green and they never suspect a thing. Alls I have to do is scoop down to the bottom, and most of the time I have a fish (usually Luna or Magneto, because lets face it, they aren't very smart XD).

I've had one of the big guys almost slip out of the pond before, over a mass fight to eat as many grass clippings as they could before the other fish got any :rolleyes:

8. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Wow, that looks great, Matt! What did you end up doing for the herons?

Nice names, Akari ;)

9. OP
    OP
    Matt B

Yeah, I know what you mean, i wish the heron had had more of a taste for males but all I've got now is 2 females, they are, overworked to put it mildy.

Thats funny about the algae! Before I began using that algae product my fish weren't used to seeing me through the murk, they had to get used to the idea that there was a world topside when I finally got it cleared up. It took them a couple days to even come up for food!

Yummy grass clipping. :) I don't know whats up with mine, they'll eat veggies but if I throw a live squirming bug in there they look at it and swim away. :confused: I mean, I know you're not a big super predator fish but come on! Its a squirming bug on the surface!

Thanks Kinezumi :), nothing yet, I've got a couple months. I'm planning on a slate ledge and motion sprinkler by spring.

10. Akari_32

Hehehe, thanks! I also have Gimpy Fish, Changy Fish, Brain, and Lady Swimmy McNibblekins :;laughing You run out of acceptable water type Pokemon names eventually (already had a Magikarp and Goldeen) LOL

11. Akari_32

I don't know the sex of my smaller commons, comets, Wakin, and Shubunkin, but the fancies are easily sexed, so stocking is easy, as well as naming LOL

I can't seem to get my 65 gallon cleared up. I think because it's tan and not black... I dunno.

If it fits in my guys mouths, they'll eat it! Heck, even of it doesn't fit, they'll gang up on it XD

12. OP
    OP
    Matt B

Apparently so! I haven't named any of my goldies ever but I probably should, I've had them longer than my tank fish!

In the spring, when it really blooms, right when I add the algaefix I change my filter configuration from sponge and medium coarse poly pad to sponge and as much floss as I can fit to try to get the dead fine algae floating around. Normally, 2 days and 6 or so filter cleanings later its clear as a bell.

My guys are just too docile I guess, they will viciously attack a cherry tomatoe though! :;bananawarrior

13. Akari_32

You should! It's fun lol

I have a sponge prefilter and a mini bog on the 65 and a sponge, fine and course pads, and biomedia on the 150, as well as a sponge on the pump that runs the fountain. I squeeze the out often, though.

My guys in the 150 are nuts! They attack my fingers and stuff LOL

14. OP
    OP
    Matt B

You definitely have mechanical covered then! I'm fortunate in that mine doesn't get direct sun except for in the morning so I'm sure that affects the bloom intensity.

Mine are mellow, never really in a hurry, except for above mentioned reasons of course. ;)

I've got a question, I recently took a comet from my sister to live in my pond as she couldn't accomodate him. When I first introduced him to the pond he was a much more pale orange but slowly changed to the vibrant orange of my other goldies. Is this just being out in the sun? I don't feed anything special, just hikari staple in the big green bag.

15. Akari_32

Uv works wonders on colors. My Sailfin pleco, for example, is a muddy brown with dark tan markings after being indoors for a couple months. When she was outdoors, she was light brown, with vibrant gold markings.

16. OP
    OP
    Matt B

If only it were easier to view them in ponds that would be even better. Thanks for the info, I've been wondering that for awhile. :)

17. Akari_32

You can make one of those upside down tanks! Then you can see them from the side too :)

18. OP
    OP
    Matt B

I had to google those, never seen them before! Another one of those things you would think physics would interfere with but doesn't, Really cool.

19. Akari_32

I want to do a spherical one for mine :)

20. OP
    OP
    Matt B

My mind was still blown from googling them! Now its blown again! That would be awesome.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice