My plecostomus looks very sick!

laurenbanfield31

I recently took a new tank off one of my friends hands, I inherited a plecostomus too!
He was fine during the move between tanks and getting settled here, I set the new big tank up with all the water from my old smaller tank and filter for a few day before adding a new filter. In the last four days he has hidden himself in one corner of the tank, his beautiful browny green colour has gone patchy and looks almost as if it's going to fall off!!
His underside looks very pale and almost like it's got fungus or mould all over it!!
I panicked and began a half dose treatment of waterlifes whitespot and fungus treatment after establishing that my water perimeters were fine, I'm new to the plecostomus world and very freaked!!!
I'm worried for the big guy!

Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

This is the plecostomus when he was healthy and the tank, he's always living in this tank it's 130 ltrs. I'm very upset about this, and would love any advice

Attachments

• 1425082345826.jpg
    1425082345826.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 290
  • 1425082362346.jpg
    1425082362346.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,365
  • 1425082416689.jpg
    1425082416689.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 254

BGKFan

unfortunately 130 liters will not be close to big enough for this species of plecostomus. What exactly were the parameters? Its fine doesn't really tell us much. does the skin look furry or is it just discolored?

laurenbanfield31

unfortunately 130 liters will not be close to big enough for this species of plecostomus. What exactly were the parameters? Its fine doesn't really tell us much. does the skin look furry or is it just discolored?

Oh my well for the moment he's in a lot better condition water than ever, before he had no filter or heater for a year.
My parameters
Nitrate 25
Nitrite 0
Ammonia .15
Kh 6
Gh 10
Ph 7.5
Chlorine 0
The tank is at about 29℃, he doesn't look furry just discolored, very discolored..
His underside went very white, so much so I though he looked mouldy.

He is the new fish, so its not like he could have caught anything from my older fish either, even though I have a permanently disabled Angel who always has stringy white poop, he's never been anything to worry about before.

Hes still eating, when the lights are off and no one's in the room he acts completely normal! Just discolored.. when the lights go on and the sun comes up he's back in his corner all day!

BGKFan

Possibly not use to the added activity during the day? I recently had an issue with my kuhlI loaches where one had white splotches on his skin (also acting normal) from what I could tell it was from an injury. Are there any sharp objects he couldve rubbed up against? Ammonia levels aren't terrible(and I believe you that they are better than he was in) but just make sure they either stay where they are or go down. may I ask why your temperature is so high? my suggestion would be to get it around 26 Celsius(unless there's a reason its so high of course).

laurenbanfield31

Possibly not use to the added activity during the day? I recently had an issue with my kuhlI loaches where one had white splotches on his skin (also acting normal) from what I could tell it was from an injury. Are there any sharp objects he couldve rubbed up against? Ammonia levels aren't terrible(and I believe you that they are better than he was in) but just make sure they either stay where they are or go down. may I ask why your temperature is so high? my suggestion would be to get it around 26 Celsius(unless there's a reason its so high of course).

Well his blotches are very uniform and symmetrical, which is strange!
No I changed all the decor and the new stuff is less harsh than the old, I added a bubble wall and he sits in it all day. Something about the bubbles I guess ?
My tanks always been high, I always found my loaches would go off colour and be very fatigued if it dropped much lower than 28/27 so I always kept it high, I might try lowering it slowly!!

BGKFan

maybe lower it slightly.. 86 degrees is the temperature I would treat ich at and you are at ~84F.. Quite high to my standards. I can't imagine the bubbles doing this and if they are uniform its likely(likely) not an injury. Do you think you can get a picture of his bottom? without disturbing him of course, but id like to see what you are talking about.

Beeker

Maybe it's just stress from the move.
Fish often become pale from big changes such as moving into a new home.

laurenbanfield31

maybe lower it slightly.. 86 degrees is the temperature I would treat ich at and you are at ~84F.. Quite high to my standards. I can't imagine the bubbles doing this and if they are uniform its likely(likely) not an injury. Do you think you can get a picture of his bottom? without disturbing him of course, but id like to see what you are talking about.

I will try and get one tomorroe, it's quite late here and I don't want to disturb him if he's out and about eating, don't want him to stop! Haha

BGKFan

Yea beeker might be right now that you said its uniform I'm starting to think stress is the only answer. Fish will lose their color for extended periods of time from prolonged stress. And as I said before he might just be getting used to the other fish now moving around in his tank. High temperatures could be stressing him out.. can't really say could be anything lol. just check your bases and do what you can and if his condition worsens post back but otherwise id say leave him be. Oh and adding that medication(idk what's in it) might be stressing him out too so don't add anymore.

I will try and get one tomorroe, it's quite late here and I don't want to disturb him if he's out and about eating, don't want him to stop! Haha

more than fair enough

laurenbanfield31

Yea beeker might be right now that you said its uniform I'm starting to think stress is the only answer. Fish will lose their color for extended periods of time from prolonged stress. And as I said before he might just be getting used to the other fish now moving around in his tank. High temperatures could be stressing him out.. can't really say could be anything lol. just check your bases and do what you can and if his condition worsens post back but otherwise id say leave him be. Oh and adding that medication(idk what's in it) might be stressing him out too so don't add anymore.

more than fair enough

This is him this morning, lowered the temp, stopped the medication. His underside looks a bit like the lighter patches in colour

Attachments

• 1425117447409.jpg
    1425117447409.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 168
  • 1425117456102.jpg
    1425117456102.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 148
  • 1425117465053.jpg
    1425117465053.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 150
  • 1425117478509.jpg
    1425117478509.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 156

Danjamesdixon

Give him time to get used to you. Many aquarists have issues with their plecos similar to this, and it is almost always down to the fact Plecos can be just so timid. In some instances, the keeper can be lucky they even see their Pleco for days!

As i'm sure you are aware, Common Plecos grow to a good foot in length, and have HUGE Bioloads. You should start looking for a new home for him as soon as you can, unless you have the capability to upgrade to at least a 125gal....if you needed the excuse

BGKFan

Agreed with Danjamesdixon +1+1+1+1

laurenbanfield31

Give him time to get used to you. Many aquarists have issues with their plecos similar to this, and it is almost always down to the fact Plecos can be just so timid. In some instances, the keeper can be lucky they even see their Pleco for days!

As i'm sure you are aware, Common Plecos grow to a good foot in length, and have HUGE Bioloads. You should start looking for a new home for him as soon as you can, unless you have the capability to upgrade to at least a 125gal....if you needed the excuse

Is this what he's ment to look like???
I want to get a 125 gal very badly just need to save up some more money, only took on the plecostomus because he came with the free tank..

Attachments

• 1425415879166.jpg
    1425415879166.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 378
  • 1425415888435.jpg
    1425415888435.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 159

Danjamesdixon

Whereabouts in the UK are you? I'll help trawl ebay and gumtree if you like

BGKFan

is it just his coloring... idk doesn't look terrible.. Could be stressed because of possible crowding(hes a big fella after all) Just saw a 125 around my area for like 200$.... I was tempted...

blugar44

A good alternative sucker for a tank your size would be a bristlenose pleco, as you probably know anyway. They look fairly similar but grow to about 10 or so cm, so they don't have such a huge impact on the bioload of your tank (proportional to their size and other fish, they still produce a lot of waste!) I'd seriously recommend them- I have one in nearly all of my community tanks. They're great at cleaning algae off the glass.

Also, I think his colouring could be explained by a couple of factors. Firstly, he is most likely stressed. He's a new fish, possibly still not completely acclimatised, and obviously the tank isn't entirely suitable as well. If you can, try and long-term plan on buying a larger tank (125 gallons is a good size as you said), or trading him with another hobbyist.
Another reason would be that colour changing is common to plecostomus species. Bristlenose do it as well. Sometimes it seems to be for no reason, but I have seen that as my plecos move onto dark driftwood, they clearly become much, much darker. When sitting on light gravel, you guessed it, they become much lighter and more blotchy or dappled. I'm assuming they must be somewhat capable of camouflage.
Just keep an eye on him, frequently do water changes etc. He should be fine until other arrangements are made.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Lucy
Replies
Views
hampalong
Replies
Views
Ashcase
Replies
Views