My Pleco's gone CRAZII

CraziiLady
Hey, Im gonna get right to the point (my 1st post, question, concern and prayers for any insight)
All together Ive always had 3 Tetras, a Pleco (from baby size) and 3 mystery snails. (Why Im called CrazziLady) The Mysterys was good in size so Im assuming since their lifespan is a yr-ish, I wouldnt have them but maybe 6 or so more Months. Plekky loved them, cleaned them but mostly left them alone. 2 died within 4 months and the last one died three weeks ago. I noticed Plekky started having attitude, literally kicking rocks and blasting past plants, knocking them everywhere. I thought maybe he missed them. 2 weeks ago I got 3 new mystery's. Plekky calmed down Quite a bit til 2 days ago. He smacked one so hard it hit the tank wall and damaged his shell. I removed him out of the tank. Last night he acted like a drunken sailer, smashing plants, rocks and everything else. I removed the other 2 snails. Mind u when I got him, he was small french fry size and now my grand daughter (2yrs old) calls him Baby Shark (do do do doot) What should U do? I dont want to get rid of him but I dont want to be snail Dr on call 24/7 either! I know some fish get aggressive and can be given freeze dried shrimp to change their attitude, what about Plekky? Somebody plzzzz help me

Dechi
What is the size of your tank ?

CraziiLady
At the moment 10 gallon. (Waiting on a 44 (I Think) gallon One/cabinet) I know he's ready for more room ( thats why I coaxed my friend into selling me theirs, its not being used soo..)
Anyway tho, this has all just became recently, out of nowhere

BettaFishObsessed
Is your tank cycled and what are the parameters? Also that sounds like way too many animals for a 10gal in case you didn’t know. What do you feed them all?

pagoda
If that is a common Pleco, you'll need larger than 44 gallon. The photo isn't clear on the bristles so unsure if its a BN or not, the markings on the belly...jury is out on Pleco type.

Mhamilton0911
He kina looks like a common pleco instead of a bristlenose.

Need a much larger tank for sure. These get 24" sometimes. And likely will get aggressive, territorial in such a small space.

Dechi
Assuming it’s a common Pleco, you need at least 75 gallons as these fish get huge (up to 15 inches).

I would rehome him if you’re only going to have a 44 gallons.

pagoda
The more I look at the photo, the more I am leaning towards it being a common...and in that size aquarium it is no wonder the fish went nuts.

Basil
It also looks like a common to me. But even a bristle nose is going to be cramped in a 10.
And unfortunately, you are experiencing what the stress of too small of a tank can cause.
We’ve all been there. Direct line to multi-tank syndrome (MTS). :D

AggressiveAquatics
I’m sure you get the point by now but that’s a common pleco. He’s going to need a 75 gallon minimum but around 100 is best

BettaFishObsessed
As everyone else said, that pleco will need a 75-100 gal tank, and that’s considering it’s him alone in the tank. It doesn’t sound like you can do that so I would look to rehome him on here, many people on this site would be glad to take him, I’m sure. Also, tetras should be kept in groups of 6+ as a schooling fish and should not be in a 10 gal. Since your getting a 45 gal, i would leave them in there until the new tank is fully cycled, then turn it into a community tank.
TL;DR: my take is rehome the pleco, cycle the new tank, once cycled put the tetras in ther, then get some more tetras (a quick google search will tell you how many you can have), and maybe add some other fish (again, research on google how many total fish you can have so you don’t overcrowd it)

also, not that important, but you might wanna end up getting some different gravel, unnatural bright colors can stress some fish out

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom