My Pleco - Shy, Sad, Stressed, or Sleepy?

Bonochick

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I got my pleco Kramer after Herman died.  When I first got Herman, he hung out in the pirate ship for a couple days before really coming out and enjoying the rest of the tank.  I've had Kramer for almost a week though, and he still hides in the ship.  He was out a few days ago, on the outside of the pirate ship.  However, my angel Jerry was hovering around, taking notice, and he took what seemed to just be a curious nip at Kramer's tail.  Kramer freaked out and started spazzing all over before darting back into the pirate ship.  I haven't seen him come out since.

Last night, I slipped an algae wafer inside the ship, and a couple of my rosy barbs kept going in to get it.  Kramer kept chasing them out.  I was worried that this was causing him too much stress...but do you think if it was really stressful that he would have just given up and left the ship?

Is it possible he's just shy and likes to hide out?  Do you think he doesn't like the tank?  Or, since plecos are nocturnal, is he maybe having a grand old time in the rest of the tank while I'm sleeping? 

Any thoughts and comments appreciated, I just feel bad because he doesn't seem as happy and comfortable as Herman was. 

Bonochick

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, the past two nights, I've flicked the aquarium light on and discovered Kramer on the back wall of the tank! Unfortunately, he got spooked majorly and darted all over again. He would finally come to rest, but he'd end up returning to the inside of the pirate ship within a couple minutes. I felt so bad for disturbing him, but I like to turn on the tank light for a couple hours before bed at night so I can enjoy them. Is it mean for me to bother him with the light? :-\

Bonochick

Well Known Member
Reaction score
When I got home yesterday (still daylight), Kramer was on the ship! I set my stuff down and went to look at him again...and he'd gone back in the ship. If I was overly paranoid, I'd swear he hated me.

Anybody else have any pleco tales? Preferably about ones that have been acting like my Kramer? I could use some reassurance that his behavior isn't anything terribly out of the ordinary. :-\

bbfeckawitts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My pleco in my 35 gal does the same exact thing, he looks like he never comes out but at night I know he does because most of my algae is gone. He is small now around 2". Can't wait till he gets bigger! Your pleco is perfectly fine. Brianna

Bonochick

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the reply, I really appreciate it.

PrayforMojo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think it has to do with the light. My pleco hides in his spot in the bushes when the light is on. i leave the light off sometimes and it seems to let him come out and play around the tank. He is great to watch i was thinking of getting some sort of shade control or dimmer for the light i dont even know if such products exist.

Bonochick

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd actually been wondering about such a thing myself, I've never seen anything of that nature.

Sabi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds like your pleco is v. shy. Try switching the light off for a while during the day, he might move about a little then. When the light is off my pleco sometimes moves about.

bbfeckawitts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Even if I turn the light off my pleco will not come out. He waits until it gets absolutely pitch black when I cannot see him even the slightest. Which is bad because he is so cool. He looks like a prehistoric thing. He is a rubberlip pleco and will get only 5" max. I have named him Lamar, and he works great cleaning my algae so that alone is enough for me to keep him! Your pleco may get less shy as he gets bigger.... What size is your tank and is yours a Common Pleco??

Bonochick

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It's a 29 gallon tank, but he's currently only a few inches long, he's a little guy.  I know that the ideal size tank is a minimum of 55 gallons, but if he starts to get too big, I will find him another home.  I won't keep him in cramped quarters.

I couldn't sleep last night, so I peered into the tank and saw Kramer on the ship again.     I decided to drop an algae wafer in there for him.  I had good aim, it landed right in front of him.  He sat there for about 5 seconds and then quickly scooted back inside the ship.   The rosy barbs moved in on the wafer.  Surprise, surprise!!   :   

Bonochick

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh, and I'm sorry, didn't mean to pass over your advice, Sab!

Sab said:
Sounds like your pleco is v. shy. Try switching the light off for a while during the day, he might move about a little then. When the light is off my pleco sometimes moves about.
I actually keep their light off during the day. Usually the only time I turn it on is for about a half hour in the morning when I feed them and in the evening for a few hours before I go to bed.

Sabi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
[
he is so cool. He looks like a prehistoric thing.
Yea, exactly! He never fails to thrill me, when i do see him move about! I have a 'half log' and when i first got him, he used to stay under there alot, but now he just stays in one place all day.
dont think i can keep him much longer though, more's the pity.
BTW his name is Algy.

ssh_condor

Reaction score
My plec is always out. I can just put a chunk of cucumber in and watch him munch away. I love that fish.

hamstermann

Valued Member
Reaction score
Our plec hides all day in his castle and we hardly ever see him, so we are always surprised at his growth when we do.

PrayforMojo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My pleco seems to have come out of his shell so to speak. he has his spot under some plants but has taken care of what i thought was going to be an algea problem.
he likes to attach himself to some of the plants and float around in the current. What a great fish. any more suggestions on food supplement for plecos?

Bonochick

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Last night, Kramer was upside down inside of the ship, sucking on the top. His tail was sticking out of one of the ship's side openings though. The other fish all kept swimming past and taking casual nips at his tail, kind of like, hey...what's this?? He finally got annoyed and pulled himself completely in the ship. He's a mystery to the other fish, they don't know what to make of him. : He sure is cute though! ;D

Sabi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
any more suggestions on food supplement for plecos?
Try slightly boiled 'baby marrow'

Happy to hear your pleco is getting braver Bonochick!

PrayforMojo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
where can i get this marrow. I have never heard of it.
mojo

Clint

Valued Member
Reaction score
all can add to this Query?....Garlic fresh tho? mine loves it...thx 4 ur time ...Clint
mojoman101 said:
My pleco seems to have come out of his shell so to speak. he has his spot under some plants but has taken care of what i thought was going to be an algea problem.
he likes to attach himself to some of the plants and float around in the current. What a great fish. any more suggestions on food supplement for plecos?

ssh_condor

Reaction score
mojoman101 said:
where can i get this marrow. I have never heard of it.
mojo
Go to a garden centre and find some seeds, grow them yourself then. I say that because i've never really seen them in shops.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom