my pleco has white spots :-(

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by layla13, Dec 2, 2012.

1. layla13New MemberMember

i have a new cycled tank.. tested it and good and its crystal clear.. only had a pleco in it for about a month.. great fish. last week i got 2 mollies i think they are and one of them was dying from white spots and i didnt know til it was already in the tank :-( it died after 2 days and i did medication on day 1. the only ones in the tank is an orange molly type fish and the pleco... and now i notice the orange one looks fine and the pleco has spot but is acting normal :-( what can i do.. i saw i can raise the temp... would it be easier to move both fish to another empty tank? i have a small tank that i just started cycling.. i really dont want to lose my pleco kuz hes nice. im really ed off at the LFS .. i mean its egypt what did i expect :-( i put white spot drops in.. should i put more? its been about 5 days since i put the last dose... please help :-(

2. AquariaUK

AquariaUKValued MemberMember

It sounds like ich, a picture would help. How big is the tank?

I wouldn't move the fish to an uncycled tank as that could kill them. Whitespot treatments should help. Is it improving?

3. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I agree, don't move the fish.

Since you used meds already, for 5 days, I would do a huge water change and put carbon back in the filter to get rid of it all. Then start the heat treatment - 2 weeks at 86 degrees. That's really all there is to it. Ich is VERY easy to treat, though it's not uncommon for meds to not work. Heat works every time, though there are case of heat resistant strains. I had one once, but bumping it up to 90 took care of it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice