My pleco has gone white can someone assist me?

Corileigh

My pleco has got some strange white thing appearing on him and i need help! I do a syphon water change once or twice a week due to it only being 25L and add tap water safe and easy balance

Dechi

Why are you keeping a Pleco in a 5-6 gallon tank ?

Corileigh

Dechi said:
Why are you keeping a Pleco in a 5-6 gallon tank ?
Because of the algae that gets produced within the tank I was advised to buy one.

Mazeus

Hi and Welcome to fishlore!

Unfortunately, you have been given some poor advice. This is not unusual, a lot of pet stores don't know much about the fish they are selling. You are certainly not the first person to come on the forum with a fish in a tank that is too small. Don't worry, I'm sure we can help .

The smaller plecos varieties like the bristlenose (which get 5-6 inches long) need an 80 litre tank or greater. They produce a LOT of waste and 25L is too small to keep the water quality safe.

The fish looks stressed, but could you tell us a bit more about the tank? There is an emergency template that you can fill out, it would help us to answer your questions.

Really we need to know if the tank is fully cycled (no ammonia or nitrites, but some nitrates). What other fish are inhabiting the tank. The parameters of the tank (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH and temp).

UmNick

Corileigh said:
Because of the algae that gets produced within the tank I was advised to buy one.
I think what Dechi means is that most plecos get massive. I cant tell what specific type you have here, but I can tell you that NO Plecostomus can live comfortably in a tank this small. If algae is what you are trying to control I would recommend some kind of snail. (Nerite, Mystery, etc.)

jake37

You will probably want a nerite snail as mystery snails are larger but you could get a mystery snail if you wish. The negative of nerite snails is females (there are male and females) will lay lot of eggs (white dots). They won't hatch because they require brakish water but it might annoy you having a lot of white 'dots' on your tank. After a while they will stop. While it is possible to sex nerite snails it is unlikely your store will be able to do such as the difference is very subtle. Conversely female mystery snails will lay large white sacks. Also be aware that both snails can climb out of your tank - though it is more common with mystery snails.

UmNick said:
I think what Dechi means is that most plecos get massive. I cant tell what specific type you have here, but I can tell you that NO Plecostomus can live comfortably in a tank this small. If algae is what you are trying to control I would recommend some kind of snail. (Nerite, Mystery, etc.)

DoubleDutch

It is an Ancistrus cf cirrhosus in extreme stresscolor. Tanksize, color of the substrate and probably the lack of hiding places is doing its thing.
Doesn't look sick btw.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom