my pleco flash

dlewin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
when I first got him/her she was little now almost two months later he/she is getting big. it used to hide a lot now It still hides but comes out when I feed him/her. how can you tell if its a female or male ?I named it flash as its hard to catch in a net when I moved to my new house. it looks like it has spines for fins will these hurt if you touch the fish? I want to know as I have a 6 year old I would never pick up a fish by my hand. now for some pictures of my baby.

120.jpg
121.jpg
122.jpg
123.jpg

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I'm not sure how to sex a pleco. Not sure you can.

Do you know the species variety? Most plecos get too large for a 29 gallon.

dlewin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
catsma_97504 said:
I'm not sure how to sex a pleco. Not sure you can.

Do you know the species variety? Most plecos get too large for a 29 gallon.
I was told at the pet store it was a common pleco. And they said it would be ok in a 29 gallon. I am getting a 75 gallon tank soon will that be ok for him. Sorry I don't know much about fish that's why I asked here. I am new to fish keeping and what is a test kit and should I buy one.

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
No need to apologize. Most LFS are interested in making a sale and nothing more. Everyone has been misled when starting with this hobby.

A common pleco gets over foot long. He will quickly outgrow a 29 gallon tank and will be much happier in a 75 gallon, but may become too large over time. Most recommend a 125 gallon tank for an adult common pleco.

I've kept a common pleco in my 29 gallon tank for about 6 months. It was getting too big for the tank and was moved into my 90 gallon. I will most likely return him to the LFS soon as he is bulldozing all my plants and devoured my glass shrimp.

kayeleven

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
https://www.fishlore.com/aquarium-water-test-kit.htm

Here is a link to the page about test kits. You should have one so that you know what is going on in your tank. Most people recommend the API liquid test kit, it's what I have and works well. Try to stay away from the 'strips' they are not very accurate.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Beautiful Pleco!
Will it hurt if you touch it? Well, it could if you grabbed the fish the wrong way. The dorsal fin can puncture like a needle if you aren't careful just like many other fish. Cory Cats, Clown Loaches have barbs that can hurt too.

This is one reason I'm not a fan of fish nets. They can be tangled in the net and it's very difficult to get them untangled without causing damage to the fish. So I use a critter keeper if I ever have to catch a fish.

To my knowledge there are no physical differences, visibly, to the eye between male and female.

Ken

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads