My Platy

bviz

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My Red Platy just hangs in out in the upper right corner of my fish tank next to the heater. It usually only moves when I am doing a water change or during feeding time? This may be common, but I am unsure because the fish was very active and swam around the past two weeks when I first got him. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks!

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to Fish Lore!

Have you properly cycled your tank? How long ago did you set it up? How long did you wait before adding fish? Do you have a test kit so you can find our what the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates? Are you sure it's a him?

Sorry for all the questions but there are so many different variables to rule out that we need as much info as you can give us. If you could more fully fill out your aquarium profile, it'll make it easier for us to help.

My initial instincts say either ammonia or nitrite poisoning or possibly a pregnant female ready to give birth. But I can't give a better answer yet.

-Lisa

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I am also wondering have you added fish since the platy, could he be the victem of bullying and is hiding due to stress

bviz

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks Lisa. It's hard to have an exact measurement since I am still using the testing sticks but I checked last night the Ammonia is classified as "safe". I am in the process of cycling my tank (I received bad advice from the LFS) by doing water cycles and adding prime every day or every other. I also have not added any fish since I got the original 7. I also have another Platy and 3 tetras that all seem to be doing fine. I don't have the exact measurements of the nitrates and nitrites but nothing really stood out when I compared them to the charts.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads