my platy

Discussion in 'Platy' started by laine42, Jul 19, 2015.

1. l

laine42 New Member Member

Hi, I've had my tank set up since may I have platys, guppies, mollies and tetra in, had lots of babies but they're all in a separate tank, I've noticed that my biggest platy has black dust like marks all over her and round her mouth, they aren't spots, she looks dirty, can anyone help please, she's fine in every other way, fins , eating etc xx

2. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fish Lore!!! Cool avatar and thanks so much for the friend request!!! :D

We're going to need some more info. :) What's your tank size and water parameters and what test kit are you using?

3. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore! :)
    What's the tank size? And how many of each fish is there? On your profile it says that you don't know the nitrogen cycle, here is a link that should help you understand the nitrogen cycle https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. OP
    OP
    l

I,ve ordered a Aquarium testing kit should be here by the end of the week, my tank is 50 litre I have 4 mollies, 3, platys, 5 guppies and 5 tetra in it xx

5. BornThisWayBettas

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but that tank is way, way overstocked, I'm afraid. :( Mollies need at the bare minimum, 20 gallons (roughly 75 liters), and the tetras need to be in schools of six or more. In the meantime, can you post a picture of the affected molly?

6. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

I've heard mollies need bigger than 20 gallons...maybe 30 (about 114 liters).
    In your current tank, you could keep your guppies, but that's about it. Other fish are going to start getting sick if they stay in that tank.

7. OP
    OP
    l

I,ll try and get a picture of her, not sure how to do it, ohhh no what am I going to do xx

8. BornThisWayBettas

9. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

10. AquaticBrandon

Yeah mollies get too big for 20 gallons.

11. BornThisWayBettas

Not all mollies, balloon mollies don't get too big.

12. AquaticBrandon

I said mollies, not balloon mollies

13. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

Welcome, I'm sure that you know that your tank is over stocked, it's a 15 us gallon/ no idea of the footprint. Without knowing what your tanks water parameters are I am suggesting you up your partial water changes, pronto. Lots of bad things happen to fish when they are overcrowded.

14. BornThisWayBettas

Balloon mollies are just a variety of molly, just like sailfin or lyretail. OP, maybe you could get a picture of the molly too, if you're worried about your stocking? :)

15. OP
    OP
    l

Have you got my picture x

16. BornThisWayBettas

No, sorry.

17. OP
    OP
    l

18. BornThisWayBettas

Hmm...... How long have you had her for and was she showing any markings like this at all when you got her?

19. OP
    OP
    l

I got the tank and fish from a friend it was already set up , I don't think she had marks on her before x does she look bad to you x

20. BornThisWayBettas

Actually, no, not imo. But, others may have different opinions. Personally, I can hardly see any markings at all. AquaticBrandon?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice