My Platy Sometimes Pecks My Cory???

amandajule

Hey so I have a 10 gallon tank stocked with an albino cory and a blue wag female platy. I’ve had them in my tank for about two weeks now but i’ve noticed that when they get near eachother my platy will watch my cory then suddenly peck at him before swimming away. I have only seen this twice with my own eyes but should it be something to worry about? Is she just being territorial? I am looking to add a couple more fish soon so if you suggest adding another female platy please let me know!!

finnipper59

Hey so I have a 10 gallon tank stocked with an albino cory and a blue wag female platy. I’ve had them in my tank for about two weeks now but i’ve noticed that when they get near eachother my platy will watch my cory then suddenly peck at him before swimming away. I have only seen this twice with my own eyes but should it be something to worry about? Is she just being territorial? I am looking to add a couple more fish soon so if you suggest adding another female platy please let me know!!
If she pecks and runs, it's partially curiosity and fear. Your Platy has no other living creature to keep it occupied...thus the curiosity. And she doesn't know what the cory is...thus the fear. She testing the cory.

guppylord

Platy never acted aggressive for me but the smallest tank I had them was at least 20 gallon. My friend had them in a 10 gallon and they bothered neon tetra so much that some died as a result. Cory won't die from it but it is true that platy can get aggressive for some reason.

Hunter1

IMO adding another platy would direct that aggression towards the platy and away from the Cory.

I’m not going to tell you a 10 is too small for corys, or that you need 6 for them to be happy cause i’ve kept them in a 10 (40 years ago) and i’v kept them in groups less than 6.

But be ready for that.

amandajule

IMO adding another platy would direct that aggression towards the platy and away from the Cory.

I’m not going to tell you a 10 is too small for corys, or that you need 6 for them to be happy cause i’ve kept them in a 10 (40 years ago) and i’v kept them in groups less than 6.

But be ready for that.
I’m sure adding another cory soon because i’m aware that they do better when they are not alone. would that be a better possible solution than adding another platy?

Platy never acted aggressive for me but the smallest tank I had them was at least 20 gallon. My friend had them in a 10 gallon and they bothered neon tetra so much that some died as a result. Cory won't die from it but it is true that platy can get aggressive for some reason.
thank you for that story because I was contemplating on adding a school of 6 tetras to finish off my tank in the future but now i’ll know to watch the behavior of my platy as the months go by!!

finnipper59

I’m sure adding another cory soon because i’m aware that they do better when they are not alone. would that be a better possible solution than adding another platy?
Could adding1 more of each be possible for you? Giving them both company.

amandajule

If she pecks and runs, it's partially curiosity and fear. Your Platy has no other living creature to keep it occupied...thus the curiosity. And she doesn't know what the cory is...thus the fear. She testing the cory.
what would you recommend that I do? this is my first tank that i’m running on my own because growing up my dad had 50+ gallon tanks which allowed for less aggression. I want to be able to keep my fish as happy and stress free as I can!

Could adding1 more of each be possible for you? Giving them both company.
yes of course!! I would just have to be sure I get another female platy since i’m trying to avoid any fry

finnipper59

Put one more of each in the tank and see if that helps until such time as you move on to a bigger tank.
what would you recommend that I do? this is my first tank that i’m running on my own because growing up my dad had 50+ gallon tanks which allowed for less aggression. I want to be able to keep my fish as happy and stress free as I can!

yes of course!! I would just have to be sure I get another female platy since i’m trying to avoid any fry
Unless they're seperated at the shop where you get your fish, you may wind up with fry anyway, but you may never know it. Platies don't care for their young. The other female could eat them as soon as their born.

Hunter1

Unless they're seperated at the shop where you get your fish, you may wind up with fry anyway, but you may never know it. Platies don't care for their young. The other female could eat them as soon as their born.

Exactly. Odds are one of your female platys will arrive pregnant. But as finnipper said, if the lfs has the males and females separated, your odds are way better.

amandajule

Exactly. Odds are one of your female platys will arrive pregnant. But as finnipper said, if the lfs has the males and females separated, your odds are way better.
thank you so much! I have seen on forums before that if you leave the fry they will most likely get eaten I would feel so bad but i’m not sure what else to do since i’m not educated on keeping fry

Hunter1

I had guppies in tanks with mollies, platys, honey gourami. Darn fry still survived.

If your tank is mostly bare of aquascape, they may all get eaten.

If there are plenty of hiding places, some will survive.

finnipper59

I had guppies in tanks with mollies, platys, honey gourami. Darn fry still survived.

If your tank is mostly bare of aquascape, they may all get eaten.

If there are plenty of hiding places, some will survive.
Maybe. But just like your post name, Platies do like to hunt.

Hunter1

Maybe the spawns of my guppies filled everyone up, but I have 120+/- just from 4 females that I scooped out, mostly after they had been in the tank a few days.

finnipper59

thank you so much! I have seen on forums before that if you leave the fry they will most likely get eaten I would feel so bad but i’m not sure what else to do since i’m not educated on keeping fry
Iive bearer fry are easy because they are larger than egg layer fry...you just basically can ignore them if you use flake food for your other fish. There are always particles in the water that the larger don't even pay attention to because of being so small. But if they don't get eaten, and you want them to live, you'll have to rubber band a a ladies knee high stocking over the filter intake so they don't get sucked up.

Hunter1

HakarI First Bites are great but crushed flake food works too.

If I moved a pregnant female into a rearing tank to have her spawn, I would feed first bites. In a community tank, they will eat crushed flake like finnipper said.

The ones in my community seem to do as well as the ones I raise separately.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Poll
  • sreiss01
  • Platy
Replies
Views
sreiss01
  • Mackenziecromie
  • Platy
Replies
Views
Woodsman27