My Platy Looks A Bit Deformed?

Sadia B
Hi. We have recently bought a 30 gal aquarium and bought our first fish last Friday. However, I’m concerned that the fish doesn’t look too normal? My family is new to having fish, so I’m not quite sure what’s going on with it or if we can do anything to help. It looks a bit flattened next to the mouth. It’s also not active at all. Just stays in one place unless it’s chased away by another fish. It has been eating though. Please let me know what you all think. Thanks.

Attachments

• CDC2C950-506F-42C6-A437-A4BAE1FAAEBE.jpeg
    CDC2C950-506F-42C6-A437-A4BAE1FAAEBE.jpeg
    39.3 KB · Views: 115
Demeter
Looks to me like wasting disease, which is basically the effects of internal parasites. Did you cycle the tank before adding fish? If not then I read up on the aquarium nitrogen cycle.

Sarah73
Your fish could have TB

Sadia B
Looks to me like wasting disease, which is basically the effects of internal parasites. Did you cycle the tank before adding fish? If not then I read up on the aquarium nitrogen cycle.
Thank you for the helpful links. I had petco test my aquarium water and they said I could go ahead and start with that one fish. We remember the fish looking that flattened since the ride home, but noticed that it’s activity dropped off after one day. I’ll order the Parauguard you recommended. Is there a chance this possible disease can spread to my other fish? I’ve had the others for a day and half and they seem fine so far.

Discus-Tang
Thank you for the helpful links. I had petco test my aquarium water and they said I could go ahead and start with that one fish. We remember the fish looking that flattened since the ride home, but noticed that it’s activity dropped off after one day. I’ll order the Parauguard you recommended. Is there a chance this possible disease can spread to my other fish? I’ve had the others for a day and half and they seem fine so far.
It will spread.By the way, don't take advice from petco. Pick up your own liquid test kits that test pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, GH & KH. Don't get test strips.

Sadia B
It will spread.By the way, don't take advice from petco. Pick up your own liquid test kits that test pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, GH & KH. Don't get test strips.

Thanks. I’ve actually ordered the apI master test kit earlier today to check the levels myself. I’m so sad to hear it’s contagious. Is there anything else I can do but use the Paraguard that a previous poster recommended? Will the paraguard fix the issue?? My kids will be super disheartened if all of our fishes die

Do I use paraguard to treat the entire tank?

GettinTanked
Paraguard is used to treat ectoparasites. It's not going to be effective in treating the internal parasite that this fish has.
Prazipro is pretty good for treating internal parasites.
To be honest, it's probably a little too late for this fish. But hoping for the best!

GettinTanked
Oh yeah, I always forget about General Cure. It has the active medication that's in PraziPro, as well as an additional medication. So that's a good call.

Paraguard isn't a bad thing to have on hand, if you've already ordered it. It'll probably come in handy in the future.

allllien
To be honest, when you see a fish like that (whether it's wasting disease or not) it usually doesn't have long, even if you try and treat it. Sorry for the bad news.

Sarah73
Sometimes it's genes and other times it's a disease or parasite that caused it or even the water quality.

allllien
Sometimes it's genes and other times it's a disease or parasite that caused it or even the water quality.
I think occasionally stress or other factors can do it as well, sometimes it's like they just 'give up' and stop eating.

Sarah73
I think occasionally stress or other factors can do it as well, sometimes it's like they just 'give up' and stop eating.
Yes sir, I agree with that. It really just depends on the person and what they are doing.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
NearMeBettas
Replies
Views
AWheeler
  • Question
Replies
Views
benchies