My platy is gone

nzfszr
This morning I suddenly realize one of my female platies is gone. I mean, literally gone. She is not in tank, right now. I've checked behind of tank for she may have jumped but is not there either.

In my tank, there are 3 cherry shrimp, 1 BN, 2 Cory and 6 cardinal tetra. Maybe we can say, she died at night and shrimps have eaten her till morning, but can 3 cherry shrimp eat a big female platy in one night?

I am still shocked right now. How can a platy gone from closed tank? I've checked everywhere in tank by the way, she is not hiding, obviously.

Attachments

• tank.jpeg
    tank.jpeg
    192 KB · Views: 26
Advertisement
pagoda
If she is not in the vicinity of the aquarium, not inside any ornaments (including areas within the ornament you might not expect a fish to gain access too) and not inside the filter......she may well have died and been consumed by not just the shrimp but an opportunistic BN, its not unheard of for a Pleco to take the opportunity to have extra meat if its just sitting there.

Check everything and everywhere that you would not normally think of...under thicker areas of substrate, inside the ornaments that you might think a fish cannot reach (if spooked a fish will wriggle into the tightest of spots), check the filter case.....externally check upto around 2.5m away from the aquarium cos fish can jump quite a distance if spooked

If after you have checked every single possible nook and cranny...check the ones that you are not convinced it being possible....if still no sign, then chances are she became somebody's midnight munchies.

nzfszr
Thank you.
I'll check everywhere again as like you told. I didn't know pleco can eat a fish in one night. I am not experienced in keeping pleco.

pagoda
Thank you.
I'll check everywhere again as like you told. I didn't know pleco can eat a fish in one night. I am not experienced in keeping pleco.

Pleco's can be opportunistic. They will eat a dead fish, sometimes even eat one that's dying...they do it in the wild so absolutely no reason to think that they won't do it in the aquarium setting and as they do eat meat, so a dead or dying fish is a bonus meal that they are not going to refuse.

Pleco are night time feeders anyway, the shrimp quite probably assisted in the disposal....you might find remnants of skeletal remains in the substrate or within the filter.

Any omnivore species will take extra meat if it presents itself.

RayClem
Also, if you have any snails in the tank, even small bladder snails or pond snails, they will readily descend upon a dead fish in the tank. It is not at all unusual for fish to "disappear".

emeraldking
Even without the BN and shrimps, a fish "can" even decay within less than a day.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AquaCaitlin
Replies
Views
platyswordtail5
  • Question
Replies
Views
smee82
Replies