My Platy has red eyes, nipped tail and a white spot? please help!

xxSam12xx
My Platy has red eyes and a white spot? please help! (picture added)

ive had a new male platy. when I got him home I realised his tail was nipped, after a while he developed bright red eyes and seemed very stressed, he stays right at the top of the tank at the corner. I thought he would be dead by today but hes still here and has now got a white spot on his nose. I'm worried about my other fish and I have fry in there too I don't want to loose.

Any ideas what it could be and what I should do?

Thanks!

sam

Martinismommy
Can you post a photo? How long has the tank been up and running? What are your water readings? Tell us everything you can about your tank and the fish in it.....This will make it easier to help your finbabies....

xxSam12xx
I don't have my camera at the moment as my dads took it on hol! (perfect timing) I have had the tank about 2 months and have 2 female platys, 1 male (ill) and 2 baby angel fish. In the tank ive also got a breeding net with 3 fry in.
the ill fish isn't the dad to the fry.

I don't have anyway to separate them as I just have the 1 tank (I'm really new to it all) ive heard of white spot disease but I'm not sure about his red eyes and stressed behaivour.

Thanks for helping.

Martinismommy
Can you do a 50% water change? I'm thinking it may be caused from ammonia...What is the temp on the tank?

xxSam12xx
the temp is 26 and a test I did was showing as everything fine today. Should I treat it with the white spot disease treatment. Can I treat it with the other fish too?

xxSam12xx
my 3 platies also have long trails from them (poo?) which ive read is an internal ailment. What does this mean?

xxSam12xx
ive attatched a picture. he isn't moving much so I can only get the 1 side. the white spot is on the opposite side. u can see the red eyes, maybe the nipped tail and string from him? please help.

0morrokh
Well he doesn't look too bad from the picture. I'd quarintine him and treat for finrot. It may just be bitten off but if so the treatment will prevent it from getting infected...you could use something more mild like Melafix. Also stuff like Vitachem or Guarlic Guard would be beneficial.

As for the white spot, what does it look like? A grain of salt, or a cotton ball, or what?

The red eye appears to be his normal eye color.

xxSam12xx
the white spot looks like a small spot of cotton wool. weve had advice from shops weve phoned, all have said its not white spot and he could be very stressed.

sam

0morrokh
the white spot looks like a small spot of cotton wool. weve had advice from shops weve phoned, all have said its not white spot and he could be very stressed.

sam

That sounds like it could be columnaris aka "mouth fungus". If so you'll need to quarintine him and treat with antibiotics. Let us know how he's doing.

Btw I wouldn't trust the advice of fish stores...most are in it for the money and don't really know much about fish, sadly. Better to ask here if you have any questions.

xxSam12xx
Thanks.

He seems a lot better! and is swimming around with the others now. I know how bad the fish stores can be so I only phoned ones I knew I could trust and they told us not to ring around cos they will try and sell us stuff just to make money and if we took him back they would just kill him.

The day after I got a hospital tank but obv I cnt use that yet as its just been set up but I have it for the future now and fry wish id thought of it earlier!

Thanks for your help
sam

xxSam12xx
just when things look like there getting better my female has suddenly developed a white cotton wool like spot on her back and won't move from the bottom corner of the tank (moving rapidly on the spot) and my angelfish died today! ahhhh. I cnt move them either my hospital tank is only 4 days old.

platy ben
definitly white spot in my opinion, my platys suffered from white spot and they done exactly that, they all cowered at the bottom of the tank .

0morrokh
just when things look like there getting better my female has suddenly developed a white cotton wool like spot on her back and won't move from the bottom corner of the tank (moving rapidly on the spot) and my angelfish died today! ahhhh. I cnt move them either my hospital tank is only 4 days old.

The cotton wool is fungus...you'll need meds for that. You need to quarintine the sick fish or you could lose all your fish. I have quarintined fish in tanks without filters several times without harm...you just have to do regular large water changes. If you don't want to contaminate the hospital tank (you mentioned using it for fry) just go out and buy a bucket large enough to hold either 5 or 10 gals of water (to make med dosing easy...but make sure not to get a 5/10 gal bucket, get a bucket several gals larger so you can leave space at the top so they can't jump out). All you need is a heater and some plastic plants (with a weighted base) or a clay pot, as well as an airstone for circulation. I know it feels weird putting fish in a tank without a filter, but it's more important to get them separated so you can treat them and hopefully your other fish will be ok.

xxSam12xx
ive treated the water with a medication which seemed closest to the symptoms, like fin rot and white cotton wool like spot and there behaivour so ill just have to wait and see. the female looks ready to pop! so I'm worried if she has more fry they will catch something straight away

COBettaCouple
Have you gotten some Melafix?

xxSam12xx
no I haven't heard of this? the treatment I got said fin rot and white cotton wool patches on the box

COBettaCouple

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
sambroder
Replies
Views
FishyFishybaby
Top Bottom