My platy has been pregnant/bloated for more than 2 months now

mukg

My platy has been pregnant/bloated for more than 2 months now, it released about 3-5 fry in my main tank late March (was able to save 1) and another in mid-April to my knowledge. Considering it's previous young size, I am assuming this is her first or second pregnancy.

Is it normal for young platys to hold on for so long, I am afraid that it could eventually get sick from holding on so long. Another platy and guppy constantly trail it looking for snack frys. Does it look healthy?

Attachments

• Tuxedo Twinbar Platy 2.jpeg
    Tuxedo Twinbar Platy 2.jpeg
    48.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Tuxedo Twinbar Platy 1.jpeg
    Tuxedo Twinbar Platy 1.jpeg
    134 KB · Views: 45

AquaticQueen

Maybe she was holding a sperm packet? (not sure if I worded that right)
?

emeraldking

Maybe she was holding a sperm packet? (not sure if I worded that right)
?
You've put it correctly. But in this case it's not a matter of storing sperm packets. But it took a while before she delivered fry from what I've read. If a female is pregnant but not feeling too comfortable to drop fry, she can hold on to the fry. And yes, the gestation period can take up to 5-8 weeks instead of 3-4 weeks. It's not abnormal. So, no worries...

mukg

Ok, thanks, glad to know.

Does it seem healthy though? See some white spots on the tuxedo area, and some redness near the mouth/birthing area and seems pretty bloated in general. Have not seen enough pregnant fishes to see if this is normal or not.

emeraldking

Ok, thanks, glad to know.

Does it seem healthy though? See some white spots on the tuxedo area, and some redness near the mouth/birthing area and seems pretty bloated in general. Have not seen enough pregnant fishes to see if this is normal or not.
If I just look at these pictures, I don´t really see something abnormal.

mukg

Thank you! Glad to hear.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Dit
  • Question
  • CoryMaster151
  • Platy
Replies
Views
CoryMaster151