My platy cant close her mouth! Should I euthanise?

fishbreeeder

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 15g
How long has the tank been running? Almost 2 yrs
Does it have a filter? Yes a sponge filter
Does it have a heater? yes
What is the water temperature? 78
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
7 plays and some fry
Maintenance
How often do you change the water? 1-2 weeks
How much of the water do you change? 25-50%
What do you use to treat your water? Seachelm water conditioner
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? I vacuum the areas without decoration every tank cleaning and go under the decorations once a month

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? Petco tests for me
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
I will be testing today, at PetCo so will update then
Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? twice a day
How much do you feed your fish? as much as they can eat every 2-3 mins
What brand of food do you feed your fish? API and Aqeon
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Sometimes bloodworms

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 1 year
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? About a week ago, but I thought there was something stuck and it would come out
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Her mouth is always half-open or fully open, and her gills are puffed up. She can't eat too!
Have you started any treatment for the illness? A bit of medafix
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? A piece of her tail has always been missing because she has housed with male guppies her whole life.
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? She hides a lot and is always trying to eat.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
So, one day I noticed her mouth stuck open. I thought that It was just something stuck, and would come out. But it's been a week, she can't eat, her mouth is open 24/7, her gills puffed up, and she hides a lot. I don't know what to do! Nothing seems to be stuck and I am at loss! Please help me, SOMEONE!

AggressiveAquatics

Could be a dislocated jaw. There’s not really anything you can do if it is that. Have you noticed any aggression from the other fish? And can you get a pic?

Upvote 0

fishbreeeder

Could be a dislocated jaw. There’s not really anything you can do if it is that. Have you noticed any aggression from the other fish? And can you get a pic?
No aggression, and she won't turn so I can get a pic! Should I euthanize?

Upvote 0

DejaVu22

As AgressiveAquatics said a pic would be very helpful.
Do you know the gender of the platy?

Upvote 0

fishbreeeder

As AgressiveAquatics said a pic would be very helpful.
Do you know the gender of the platy?
She is a girl

I got a pic here (But its terrible)
Anyone...?

Attachments

Attachments

• IMG_20210315_105943.jpg
    IMG_20210315_105943.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20210315_105928.jpg
    IMG_20210315_105928.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 39
Upvote 0

fishbreeeder

My amazing platy papaia Is gonna die. She has a dislocated jaw, can't eat, and has trouble breathing. Should I use clove oil and euthanize her? She is pregnant, so if I euthanize her, should I cut her open while she sleeps to save her babys?

Upvote 0

fishbreeeder

guess know one can help...
AggressiveAquatics? @DejaVu22?
Anyone!

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

It’s your choice if you want to euthanize. It will become very difficult to feed her and unfortunately from what I’ve heard fish with dislocated jaws often don’t make it more than a few more months.

Upvote 0

fishbreeeder

It’s your choice if you want to euthanize. It will become very difficult to feed her and unfortunately from what I’ve heard fish with dislocated jaws often don’t make it more than a few more months.
I believe I will be euthanizing this evening then...

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

I believe I will be euthanizing this evening then...
I believe there are two different things though. I think lock jaw and a dislocated jaw are different things. With a dislocated jaw there is a chance it could heal but with lock jaw it’s more fatal. I can’t really tell from the pic though. I think it’s worth a shot keeping her alive atleast until she gives birth because you said she’s pregnant

Upvote 0

fishbreeeder

I believe there are two different things though. I think lock jaw and a dislocated jaw are different things. With a dislocated jaw there is a chance it could heal but with lock jaw it’s more fatal. I can’t really tell from the pic though. I think it’s worth a shot keeping her alive atleast until she gives birth because you said she’s pregnant
Im pretty sure there is no hope. She refuses to eat! I think I will cut out the babies when she is sleeping (clove oil) and once I get them out, I will just cut her brain. This is devastating!

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

Im pretty sure there is no hope. She refuses to eat! I think I will cut out the babies when she is sleeping (clove oil) and once I get them out, I will just cut her brain. This is devastating!
Hopefully it works out. Just know there is a chance the babies won’t make it through the early birth.
Here’s a thread on someone that’s done it
Guppy Postmortem Birth | Breeding Fish Forum | 348921

Upvote 0

DejaVu22

Let us know how it turns out! Hopefully the babies live!

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

Clove oil didn't really work, It took a HUGE dose for her to pass out. LUckly, I got 20 babies out! Keeping one for certain!
Are the babies looking ok? It’ll be interesting to see how they do...

Upvote 0

fishbreeeder

Are the babies looking ok? It’ll be interesting to see how they do...
10-15 died, but the rest are doing great!

Upvote 0

DejaVu22

Interesting.. yeah only the toughest will survive that.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
darkcat
Replies
Views
cameil
Replies
Views
Slapp
Replies