My Plants Just Keep On Dying!

Fishrfriends101

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I bought 5 bunches of plants a few weeks ago as they are very hardy and I thought they would be brilliant for a heavily planted tank.
I went away this week for 6 days and I came back to see the leaves were all shredded and yellow! I noticed that my molly fish have been pecking at it and trying to pull off the leaves a bit but surely this couldn't be the cause? If anybody has any advice for me I would be very grateful, I'm afraid I don't know the plant species though so hopefully you can tell from the photo! Many thanks in advance!

184347945de7b37132a5f374d9349d5e.jpg

5ef026c2ae97b212b6ae8bf578df91f3.jpg

Zerologist

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Same here. I currently have that kind of plant in my guppy tank and it keeps on dying! I also don't know what is the cause. Please help us...

Zerologist

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
My one is two months already!!! LOL XD

Anyone there can answer our question? Why does this plant keep on dying? Does it need special care?

Last edited by a moderator:

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hmmmm. It looks like elodea, also known as anacharis. Google anacharis and see if it matches the pictures.

Anacharis is a great plant.... I don't know why its dying. I have some in a 5 gal as an experiment with just one CFL desk lamp shining in and it is taking off.

It looks like you have algea growth on them, how long ago did you put them in the tank? Do you fertilize? What are your nitrate levels? Did they look like that when you put them in?

Fishrfriends101

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think mine's anacharis it matches the pictures. I got a new tank today with brighter bulbs for a betta, it's about 6 gallon and I've put some of the plants in there and I'm gonna see if it does better in thereI'll update you because it could be the lighting!

509d3e4ccada0175c27b1dca954cbbcd.jpg

My new betta!The plant I put in here looks quite healthy to be honest!Some are worse than others

Last edited by a moderator:

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yes they are the exact same plant. Did it look like this when you bought it? What was it called?

What is your lighting Psalm_23 ? And what are your nitrate levels?

Nice betta! Yes thats definitely anacharis and it looks pretty healthy!

Zerologist

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yes they are the exact same plant. Did it look like this when you bought it? What was it called?

What is your lighting Psalm_23 ? And what are your nitrate levels?

Nice betta! Yes thats definitely anacharis and it looks pretty healthy!
Actually, I'm quite a noob in taking care of aquariums...

I don't use any lighting but there is a light bulb on the ceiling which provides enough light for the aquarium. I don't even know how to take nitrate levels as I don't have equipment...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom