My Plants Just Keep On Dying!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Fishrfriends101, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Fishrfriends101

Fishrfriends101 New Member Member

I bought 5 bunches of plants a few weeks ago as they are very hardy and I thought they would be brilliant for a heavily planted tank.
    I went away this week for 6 days and I came back to see the leaves were all shredded and yellow! I noticed that my molly fish have been pecking at it and trying to pull off the leaves a bit but surely this couldn't be the cause? If anybody has any advice for me I would be very grateful, I'm afraid I don't know the plant species though so hopefully you can tell from the photo! Many thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Zerologist

Zerologist Well Known Member Member

Same here. I currently have that kind of plant in my guppy tank and it keeps on dying! I also don't know what is the cause. Please help us...

3. bakpau

bakpau Valued Member Member

I have the exact same plant, dying as well! waiting for an answer too

4. OP
    OP
    Fishrfriends101

Seems like this plant isn't too great huh?

5. bakpau

Maybe they are still adapting in the new environment? Idk, its been two weeks though

6. OP
    OP
    Fishrfriends101

Yeah possibly, mines been about two or three weeks to

7. Zerologist

My one is two months already!!! LOL XD

Anyone there can answer our question? Why does this plant keep on dying? Does it need special care?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2017
  8. bakpau

Ive read somewhere that this plant is one of the easiest to take care of, doesnt need fertilizer & they can even grow like weed. That doesnt apply to us

9. R

Rj Forster Valued Member Member

Hope this helps.

10. Zerologist

I think our one lacks nitrogen?

11. Culprit

Culprit Fishlore VIP Member

Hmmmm. It looks like elodea, also known as anacharis. Google anacharis and see if it matches the pictures.

Anacharis is a great plant.... I don't know why its dying. I have some in a 5 gal as an experiment with just one CFL desk lamp shining in and it is taking off.

It looks like you have algea growth on them, how long ago did you put them in the tank? Do you fertilize? What are your nitrate levels? Did they look like that when you put them in?

12. bakpau

This helps alot thanks. How do we increase nitrogen & co2 levels in the tank?

13. barandemir09

barandemir09 Valued Member Member

Fertilizer for the nitrogen and co2 comes from fish, the actual co2 tanks or excel

14. Zerologist

Actually, I am not pretty sure if it is elodea or anacharis... Are they actually the same?

15. OP
    OP
    Fishrfriends101

I think mine's anacharis it matches the pictures. I got a new tank today with brighter bulbs for a betta, it's about 6 gallon and I've put some of the plants in there and I'm gonna see if it does better in thereI'll update you because it could be the lighting!

[​IMG]

My new betta!The plant I put in here looks quite healthy to be honest!Some are worse than others

16. Culprit

Culprit Fishlore VIP Member

Yes they are the exact same plant. Did it look like this when you bought it? What was it called?

What is your lighting Psalm_23 ? And what are your nitrate levels?

Nice betta! Yes thats definitely anacharis and it looks pretty healthy!

17. Zerologist

Actually, I'm quite a noob in taking care of aquariums... :(

I don't use any lighting but there is a light bulb on the ceiling which provides enough light for the aquarium. I don't even know how to take nitrate levels as I don't have equipment... :(

18. Brian Rodgers

Brian Rodgers Well Known Member Member

The API test kit is or was on sale a week ago at Amazon for US$8.00

19. Zerologist

Thanks for the info! :)

20. OP
    OP
    Fishrfriends101

That's good! I don't have a test kit either I'll try get one, thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice