My Plants Are Not Doing So Well What Am I Doing Wrong?

MoeTetrasMoeProblemz
Hello, I want to plant some creeping Jenny in my fish tank, but when I bury them in the substrate the bottom portion turns very green and melts away. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong with these creeping Jenny plants, they seem so easy to grow but they’re actually hard, does anybody have any tips on how I should keep them (whether afloat/ anchored/ buried) I don’t like seeing them wither and die, I’m getting thrive fertilizer soon. Please help me.

Advertisement
JJfishes
I have mine anchored down with aqaurium decorations. Picture below. They do fine.

IMG_20190928_012013.jpg

Advertisement
MoeTetrasMoeProblemz
I have mine anchored down with aqaurium decorations. Picture below. They do fine.
View attachment 623256

Nice idea, but do you have any idea on why my creeping Jenny withers away from the bottom and dies off ?

MoeTetrasMoeProblemz
Hello, I’ve been having some trouble to keep my plants growing healthy in my 75 gallon tank. I have a about 3 java ferns, 1 java trident, 2 Brazilian swords, 3 Ammania Gracilis plants, a couple large wads of Java moss on my drift wood, 2 green cabomba plants, 1 Italian vallisneria, and one other land/aquatic plant in my 75 gallon tank.

1.) I know that the Brazilian swords and the other random land/aquatic plants aren’t meant to be fully submersed and will not flourish under water.

2.) I’ve been adding API CO2 supplement for about a week now. (I can’t afford CO2 system atm also the DIY CO2 systems are garbage)

3.) I have a deep blue professional HO 108W light on my 75 gallon tank. (I know that it’s 2-5 watts per gallon of a tank, I am well below that)

4.) I dose Seachem Flourish 1-2 times a week. (I know it doesn’t cut it and I’m missing out on some other vital nutrients)

5.) I have a Penn-plax cascade 1200 canister filter + a Fluval 406 canister filter running on my 75.

6.) I have 3 medium discus, 3 medium angels, 20 neon tetras, 4 black tetras, 2 Serpae tetras, 2 von rio flame tetras, 2 Rosy tetras, 1 Chinese algae eater, 2 upside-down catfish, 3 boesemanI rainbows, 2 goldeneye cichlids, and 1 agassizI cichlid.

7.) my PH is around the 7.0-7.5 range and has been steady ever since.

8.) my java moss, java fern, and java trident are all doing fine, they’re growing constantly and making new plants.

9.) my green cabomba and my ammania gracilis on the other hand are having stunted growth, yellow/browning leaves, and are shriveling. What am I doing wrong with those???

10.) I have a mix of black sand with 1 twenty pound bag of CaribSea Eco-complete substrate mixed within it. (About an 1-1.5 inches of substrate)

11.) I have about 5-6 Seachem root tabs implanted into the substrate near every large major plant.

12.) my water temperature ranges from 80-85 degrees Fahrenheit. (mainly because I have discus)

I am in dire need of some advice from my friends here at Fishlore. I want to know what I’m doing wrong with the plants in my tank! I really want them to flourish.
Can anyone here please give me recommendations to what I should buy (lights,fertz,substrates,CO2) and add to my tank to promote the growth of more plants. It’s not a Heavily planted tank and I am really trying to make it one without having plants disintegrate away. I’m currently low tech right now.
THANKS!!!

MutualAssuredDestruction
Without pictures its hard to say but it could be a potasium deficiency.

MutualAssuredDestruction
Try phosphorous and potassium in the water column. Start small and work your way up. How long do you leave your lights on?

Advertisement

MoeTetrasMoeProblemz
Try phosphorous and potassium in the water column. Start small and work your way up. How long do you leave your lights on?

Phosphorus and potassium sounds right! How should I add those though? Should I buy thrive fertilizer? Are there any natural at home ways to add those nutrients?
Also that’s my trouble spot :/ my lights are on as soon as I wake up and that varies for me because I’m a college student. So basically I turn them on around 7-8am every week day and turn them on around 10-11am every weekend, and I turn them off around 10:30-11pm sometimes 12am. I know it’s very inconsistent and I don’t have a timer :/ should I get one?

Wow what you said just hits the spot! Same symptoms on my plants, due to this chart of course.

MutualAssuredDestruction
Phosphorus and potassium sounds right! How should I add those though? Should I buy thrive fertilizer? Are there any natural at home ways to add those nutrients?
Also that’s my trouble spot :/ my lights are on as soon as I wake up and that varies for me because I’m a college student. So basically I turn them on around 7-8am every week day and turn them on around 10-11am every weekend, and I turn them off around 10:30-11pm sometimes 12am. I know it’s very inconsistent and I don’t have a timer :/ should I get one?
A timer is essential. Yes go get one.
As for your fert. I am actually surprised you need phosphate with the fish load you have. You can buy phosphate and potassium from Seachem by the bottle.
Before you go down the Thrive route read up a bit on PPS dosing method vs. EI Dosing as that is usually meant for high tech tanks.
Also might want to research a bit more on your problem plants as your have discuss and I do know that SOME plants don't like that warm of a temperature.

MoeTetrasMoeProblemz
A timer is essential. Yes go get one.
As for your fert. I am actually surprised you need phosphate with the fish load you have. You can buy phosphate and potassium from Seachem by the bottle.
Before you go down the Thrive route read up a bit on PPS dosing method vs. EI Dosing as that is usually meant for high tech tanks.
Also might want to research a bit more on your problem plants as your have discuss and I do know that SOME plants don't like that warm of a temperature.

What is PPS dosing and EI dosing? I shall look into obtaining a light timer as soon as possible! I have a lot of fish but I think the problem is that I have too much good filtration, my tanks nitrates are always low. And I feed them very moderately, which isn’t too often. I am slowly trying to get my discus used to temperatures in the mid 70s to low 80s. I just ordered the Thrive all in one bottle for low tech tanks. Some one told me seachem flourish is just a bottle of brown stinky water LOL, like it’s useless. Should I add more lighting or substrate???

MutualAssuredDestruction
I would argue about brown stinky water but everyone starts someplace and it usually the highest marketed stuff. It works but if you want more you have to go looking for more.
Adding substrate or lighting would help either way but I would wait to see how the new ferterlizer works out for you. You might already have enough.

If you want more about dosing read this sight.
www.advancedplantedtank.com

Advertisement

MoeTetrasMoeProblemz
I would argue about brown stinky water but everyone starts someplace and it usually the highest marketed stuff. It works but if you want more you have to go looking for more.
Adding substrate or lighting would help either way but I would wait to see how the new ferterlizer works out for you. You might already have enough.

I do believe it’s the lack of nutrients that are in sea chem flourish, the problem with that product is that they sell 20 bottles each with different nutrients, and I just can’t afford to pay $10.00 each bottle. I think thrive is more sufficient as other posts on here say it’s far better and more nutrient rich. I know the nitrate levels go crazy with it but I am prepared with my good filters and weekly water changes. I also see the reviews for the product and they say that a certain brand of thrive helps with low tech tanks without much lighting or CO2. Although I still do remain unsure of the main issue it’s always nice to start at the most affordable spots. If the fertz won’t cut it, then I’ll get 35lbs of Fluval Plant stratum, If that doesn’t do the job then I’ll get a stronger LED light with a timer, if that doesn’t cut it then I’ll get a pressurized CO2 system. AND if that doesn’t work then it’s good bye to the fish hobby for me :/ But I’m sure one of those should fix the problem. Thanks for your insights on my question I really appreciate it.

MutualAssuredDestruction
Spell check got me and I meant to say; I wounld'nt Argue with that statement! Lol
And this is how it starts. Your on your way to a high tech tank! Lol
You might not know it yet but welcome to the club! Lol

Its actually not all that bad and you can get by with it and actually get some good growth if you supplement the missing nutrients. Its all depends on what kind of plants you want in your tank and your fish load.

MoeTetrasMoeProblemz
Spell check got me and I meant to say; I wounld'nt Argue with that statement! Lol
And this is how it starts. Your on your way to a high tech tank! Lol
You might not know it yet but welcome to the club! Lol

Thank you my friend it’s a pleasure! I am grateful for your insights and I’m on my way to having a better tank because of that

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Mike1995
Replies
Views
V1K
Replies
Views
PurityNRoses
Replies
Views