Help My Plants Are Not Doing So Well What Am I Doing Wrong?

MoeTetrasMoeProblemz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hello, my hornwort I bought about 1-2 weeks ago grows every day, but the leaves just turn yellow/brown. I’m not sure why. Also new leaves grow on my other plants, but usually they come shriveled, I’m not sure on why. Also my moneywort/creeping Jenny grows nicely but from the bottom where I have planted in the substrate starts to melt and turn yellow, causing them to float. I have sand mixed with eco plant substrate. I have 10 root tabs planted underneath the substrate near every plant. I dose flourish twice weekly. Btw it’s a 75 gallon tank. I have a 110W light and it seems to be doing fine. I also have 3 diy carbon systems with 2Liter bottles. That diffuse co2 nicely during the day time, where i turn them off at night. I give them 12-15 hours of light a day. I don’t know why I can’t get this right. I’m struggling to keep my plants alive and I don’t like to see dying or decaying plants in the tank, it just doesn’t look nice. All of the plants are fairly new and I am hoping to find out what I’m doing wrong so I can fix it and have a healthy planted aquarium. Thanks I hope someone can help me.

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hornwort is salt tolerant but it will still melt with salt, as will many other plants. It could have been the addition of the salt. Do a large water change each day to reduce the salt levels, even though theyre minute they could still be too high to a plant.

Also, hornwort tends to shed and melt a ton when new to an aquarium. Itll toughen up pretty good later on in.

Your moneywort... maybe let it float until it develops some roots, then replant it. So it prevents it from melting? Moneywort is one ive struggled with, but ive noticed improvements since ive gotten root tabs. But i notice when its not happy it does melt off at the stem.

OP
MoeTetrasMoeProblemz

MoeTetrasMoeProblemz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hornwort is salt tolerant but it will still melt with salt, as will many other plants. It could have been the addition of the salt. Do a large water change each day to reduce the salt levels, even though theyre minute they could still be too high to a plant.

Also, hornwort tends to shed and melt a ton when new to an aquarium. Itll toughen up pretty good later on in.

Your moneywort... maybe let it float until it develops some roots, then replant it. So it prevents it from melting? Moneywort is one ive struggled with, but ive noticed improvements since ive gotten root tabs. But i notice when its not happy it does melt off at the stem.
Image1568812305.517132.jpg
the horn wort is still growing vertically daily, but you see the browning, will it eventually turn green or just fall off??
Image1568812326.503427.jpg
the moneywort has roots growing all along the leaves, roots on the top and on the bottom, should I cut it in half and replant the top part with the roots coming out of it? How can I make it a happy plant?
Image1568812342.138891.jpg
this plant however grows big and tall, but the leaves just come out shriveled, and I don’t know what I’m lacking in the tank to fix this.
Image1568812358.808882.jpg
this Brazilian sword has been this size for over 5 months of having it , it doesn’t big leaves, I see just small leaves on the bottom of it and the top leaves just have green algae and shrivel.
Image1568812378.561375.jpg
and I don’t even know what this plant is, it just doesn’t have new growth it’s looked like that for a while now lol, what am I doing wrong???

toeknee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Every time I have fiddled with DIY CO2 it causes more problems than good. It's very difficult to maintain steady and consistent CO2 levels. Fluctuating CO2 can cause all sorts of problems from black beard algae to stunted plants. A low-medium light tank with no CO2 and consistent dosages of Seachem Excel will have better results IMO. If you're going to go the CO2 route, go all the way and get a full pressurized system.

Also Seachem Flourish doesn't contain all the nutrients plants need. You need both Micro and Macro nutrients. Flourish only contains Micro elements so your plants may be suffering from nutrient deficiency as well. A good quality all in one fertilizer like Thrive has all the nutrients your plants need.

Lastly it could be a lighting issue as well. Wattage doesn't necessarily correlate to being a good light.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't do co2, so can't comment there, but I did notice some things maybe.

Is it diatoms (brown algae) in the bottom leaves of the hornwort? It would make it look brown and eventually melt the leaves.

Creeping jenny looks like it is transitioning to your tank. Me, I would let it grow in your tank and replant the tops.

If the 3rd plant is ammania gracilis, it's a pretty demanding plant, so might do better in a more established tank with more constant parameters.

The Brazilian sword is actually a peace lily and not a fully aquatic plant. It can grow with roots in the water and leaves above (emersed), but it won't thrive fully submerged or last very long.

I'm not sure what the last plant is, but I'm thinking it might also be a terrestrial or bog plant.

OP
MoeTetrasMoeProblemz

MoeTetrasMoeProblemz

Valued Member
Reaction score
I don't do co2, so can't comment there, but I did notice some things maybe.

Is it diatoms (brown algae) in the bottom leaves of the hornwort? It would make it look brown and eventually melt the leaves.

Creeping jenny looks like it is transitioning to your tank. Me, I would let it grow in your tank and replant the tops.

If the 3rd plant is ammania gracilis, it's a pretty demanding plant, so might do better in a more established tank with more constant parameters.

The Brazilian sword is actually a peace lily and not a fully aquatic plant. It can grow with roots in the water and leaves above (emersed), but it won't thrive fully submerged or last very long.

I'm not sure what the last plant is, but I'm thinking it might also be a terrestrial or bog plant.
Wow so it turns out all my plants suck, and theyre just gonna die out. My fish store is just a bunch of total crooks huh... who on gods green earth sells land plants for aquariums what do they think I’m running a pond? What plants do u recommend I get
I already have java fern and java moss they’re are truly the most boring plants I have I don’t enjoy them at all, what else is there to get it’s getting kinda boring just seeing green plants, are there other varieties?

OP
MoeTetrasMoeProblemz

MoeTetrasMoeProblemz

Valued Member
Reaction score
I’m with angel and the last plant looks like a pothos not a water plant. But grows the same as the Brazilian sword. Amazon,fire or melon swords will grow and most crypts will too. I also think your lighting may be lacking. Is it an led? I too do not use co2. I use the liquid api co2 booster. Works well for me.
They’re 110W long fluorescent bulbs, two of them actually. I don’t have that many plants in the tank, like 12 plants. I don’t see how the lighting is poor. Should I throw out these pothos plants in the trash or put them in my garden outside lol?? And how is that liquid co2 booster working? Is it really as good as it sounds? I’m thinking about tossing out the DIY it stinks like a winery in the tank under my closet lol.
What plants other than swords should I get any ideas? Any exotic plants I can order online that look cool and grow well in my low/medium lighting

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
In medium light water wisteria is pretty good. Sturdy, pretty plant. Does good with root tabs. Looks pretty too.

A suggestion for hornwort... dont plant it. Let it float, or anchor it to the wall of the tank with a suction cup (those ones that hold lights work well because they clamp on the stem). Hornwort doesnt do as good planted. Does *best* floated, but does good anchored free of substrate

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
eBay has a 24/7 vivagrow led light for around $50 shipped. Great light for the price. The co2 booster works. I also use flourish comprehensive iron and potassium. My plants grow fine. No co2.

Crypts grow good and the aponogetons grow all right and look great.

OP
MoeTetrasMoeProblemz

MoeTetrasMoeProblemz

Valued Member
Reaction score
In medium light water wisteria is pretty good. Sturdy, pretty plant. Does good with root tabs. Looks pretty too.

A suggestion for hornwort... dont plant it. Let it float, or anchor it to the wall of the tank with a suction cup (those ones that hold lights work well because they clamp on the stem). Hornwort doesnt do as good planted. Does *best* floated, but does good anchored free of substrate
Wow I didn’t know that, thank you I’ll try to find a way I can keep it out of the substrate, and I’ll definitely be getting a couple water wisterias to add to the tank, they do look very pretty. Thanks for your help

Vishaquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Every time I have fiddled with DIY CO2 it causes more problems than good. It's very difficult to maintain steady and consistent CO2 levels. Fluctuating CO2 can cause all sorts of problems from black beard algae to stunted plants. A low-medium light tank with no CO2 and consistent dosages of Seachem Excel will have better results IMO. If you're going to go the CO2 route, go all the way and get a full pressurized system.

Also Seachem Flourish doesn't contain all the nutrients plants need. You need both Micro and Macro nutrients. Flourish only contains Micro elements so your plants may be suffering from nutrient deficiency as well. A good quality all in one fertilizer like Thrive has all the nutrients your plants need.

Lastly it could be a lighting issue as well. Wattage doesn't necessarily correlate to being a good light.
This all the way!

DIY CO2 with yeast and sugar is a waste. Baking soda and citric acid might be worth a try but it needs to be regulated like the wuyouchy CO2 generators on amazon.

Seachem Flourish is a horrible fertilizer. Thrive is really the way to go for beginner plants.

OP
MoeTetrasMoeProblemz

MoeTetrasMoeProblemz

Valued Member
Reaction score
This all the way!

DIY CO2 with yeast and sugar is a waste. Baking soda and citric acid might be worth a try but it needs to be regulated like the wuyouchy CO2 generators on amazon.

Seachem Flourish is a horrible fertilizer. Thrive is really the way to go for beginner plants.
Well dang I spent the money I was supposed to use on citric acid and thrive fertilizer on yeast and flourish.. ill wait until schools over to make some money and buy those. Honestly spending on the aquarium costs just as much as maintaining my car... Fish hobby is probably the most expensive hobby to maintain.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just costs in the beginning. Once you get things right the cost goes down. Flourish works for me. I found thrive boosted the nitrates in my low tech tanks (all of them) and diatoms (brown algae) soon developed. Disappeared when I went back to flourish. Go figure.

OP
MoeTetrasMoeProblemz

MoeTetrasMoeProblemz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Just costs in the beginning. Once you get things right the cost goes down. Flourish works for me. I found thrive boosted the nitrates in my low tech tanks (all of them) and diatoms (brown algae) soon developed. Disappeared when I went back to flourish. Go figure.
Hahaha ayeeee!! So flourish is the way to go, and I think I can ditch the stinking diy system for the API liquid CO2. So all I gotta spend now is the 6 bucks for that and I’m in the clear. I had this tank running with two nice filters, doing 50% weekly water changes since last March, about 7-8 months now. So I’m going to keep doing what I’m doing and take your advice, dance on the streets in NYC to raise some money to buy a few water wisterias and I’ll be set with the plants!

Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom