My plants are getting holes in them. What am i doing wrong?

snipperrr

Hi! I made an account literally 15 minutes ago on here so sorry if I seem new. Anyway, my plants are getting holes in the leafs and I don't know why. I've looked on many threads on different forums and still haven't found an answer that could help me. I do 25% water changes every week. It is a 29gal stocked with 3 angels, 5 guppies, 2 harlequin rasbora, 1 otocinclus, and 1 mystery snail. I have 8 full grown Amono shrimp coming next week. I will list my water parameters and images of what I'm talking about so hopefully somebody can help me out.
(I use test strips, so its not an exact number but its close)
Nitrate: 5
Nitrite: 0
Total Hardness: 300 (I live in a desert so its really hard)
Chlorine: 0
Total Alkalinity: 80
pH: 8 ish

I use Leaf Zone and once its out i have a bottle of flourish that im switching to.

And here is the pictures of the holes:

IMG_5408.jpg

Its the worst on that plant, but there are holes or yellowing on all my other plants. I also have a lot of algae growth, but I think that's because I don't have a good clean up crew yet. What do you guys suggest I do to help my plants be healthy?
Edit: I’ve heard potassium from a couple places but that doesn’t makes sense because I use leaf zone and that is potassium and iron. Maybe it has something to do with carbon or co2 in the water but I don’t know

MrBryan723

A fertilizer would probably go a long ways if you aren't using one. Maybe root tabs too.

Upvote 0

Pwilly07

I had holes in my plants and I started dosing Epsom salt with my Equilibrium. I was told by a member on here that I was lacking magnesium and about an 1 tsp. in my 40g breeder after water changes and I started seeing differences in a good way. I did use the Rotala butterfly calculator and eventually changed my dosage, but 1 tsp. is where I started.

Upvote 0

snipperrr

A fertilizer would probably go a long ways if you aren't using one. Maybe root tabs too.
forgot to mention that. I use Leafzone. I edited it so it shows now. but thanks

Upvote 0

snipperrr

I had holes in my plants and I started dosing Epsom salt with my Equilibrium. I was told by a member on here that I was lacking magnesium and about an 1 tsp. in my 40g breeder after water changes and I started seeing differences in a good way. I did use the Rotala butterfly calculator and eventually changed my dosage, but 1 tsp. is where I started.
My current fertilizer is only Iron and Potassium. When that runs out (It almost empty) Im switching to flourish, which has many more nutrients in it, so hopefully that will help. And ill look into the Epsom Salt.

Upvote 0

Pwilly07

I wouldn't bother with Flourish. I would get Thrive as many people like it or get Green Leaf Aquariums fertilizer. I bought 1 pound powders and mix them myself and just use a spray bottle to squirt into my tanks. I paid like $60 for the micros and Macros and that was nearly 2 years ago. Still haven't run out and that's for many tanks. Flourish doesn't have macros in it I learned when I had bought several bottles of the stuff. If you can afford a little more now, you'll save a bunch in the long term.

Upvote 0

jake37

whole foods sell pure epson salt very cheaply - it is their 123 brand name; if you buy epson salt be sure it has no additive (safe for consumption). Another thing is it might also be lack of potassium though that is usually brown holes.

Upvote 0

snipperrr

I wouldn't bother with Flourish. I would get Thrive as many people like it or get Green Leaf Aquariums fertilizer. I bought 1 pound powders and mix them myself and just use a spray bottle to squirt into my tanks. I paid like $60 for the micros and Macros and that was nearly 2 years ago. Still haven't run out and that's for many tanks. Flourish doesn't have macros in it I learned when I had bought several bottles of the stuff. If you can afford a little more now, you'll save a bunch in the long term.
I am on a pretty tight budget so I will definitely look into Thrive once I’m out of what I have now. The flourish bottle isn’t very big so it shouldn’t be that long. I just don’t want to waste anything you know.

Upvote 0

e_watson09

I did want to add, be careful adding salt to your tank as salt is REALLY hard on scaleless fish like catfish (oto). Also make sure any fert you use is invert safe, not all are and they can kill your snail and shrimp.

Upvote 0

jaydivingboard

Pinholes in leaves usually means a plant doesnt have enough Potassium, yellowing of leaves is probably due to the algae stealing all the Nitrates

Upvote 0

snipperrr

Pinholes in leaves usually means a plant doesnt have enough Potassium, yellowing of leaves is probably due to the algae stealing all the Nitrates
I’ve been hearing Potassium but that doesn’t make sense because the fertilizer I use (leaf zone) is iron and potassium. I’m so confused lol I dont know what the problem is.

Upvote 0

Pwilly07

I did want to add, be careful adding salt to your tank as salt is REALLY hard on scaleless fish like catfish (oto). Also make sure any fert you use is invert safe, not all are and they can kill your snail and shrimp.
Nice catch with the Oto! I have bronze corydoras in my tank and they never minded the Epsom salt, but I know Otos can be even more fragile. I have amano shrimp and snails in my tank and the ferts from GLA never bother them either. Amanos are over two years old and going strong.

Upvote 0

jake37

Epson Salt's only relationship to salt is the word 'salt'. Words don't kill; chemical composition kill. Epson salt is NOT salt.

Nice catch with the Oto! I have bronze corydoras in my tank and they never minded the Epsom salt, but I know Otos can be even more fragile. I have amano shrimp and snails in my tank and the ferts from GLA never bother them either. Amanos are over two years old and going strong.

Upvote 0

Pwilly07

Epson Salt's only relationship to salt is the word 'salt'. Words don't kill; chemical composition kill. Epson salt is NOT salt.
Ah yes!! I thought it wasn't a salt, but then when someone said it was, I thought I was mistaken. Thanks for clearing that up.

Upvote 0

jake37

Btw too much epson salt is bad - as a general rule i use 1/2 the amount recommended. It is not - to my knowledge - uniquely bad for scaleless fish like salt (sodium); but it is a chemical and too much ....

Ah yes!! I thought it wasn't a salt, but then when someone said it was, I thought I was mistaken. Thanks for clearing that up.

Upvote 0

Pwilly07

Btw too much epson salt is bad - as a general rule i use 1/2 the amount recommended. It is not - to my knowledge - uniquely bad for scaleless fish like salt (sodium); but it is a chemical and too much ....
You can always start with a little and see how the plants react. Also, in my experience, trying one change for a week to 2 weeks and seeing the result was easier than trying to change everything all at once. When my fish were okay with the Epsom salt and the plants were improving, but not enough, I was able to add more and then monitor. If something went wrong with plants or fish, I knew what the culprit was.

Upvote 0

e_watson09

Yes, Epson salt and aquarium salt are two VERY different topics. When you're talking adding salt to directly your tank you're most often referring to aquarium salt, NOT Epson salt. It is beneficial to plants but if we are considering fish health as well the fish included are not going to handle it well

Epson salt is super beneficial to specific fish as a salt bath. Meaning not in the tank. Some people put it directly in their tank but that's not the most common, nor effective, practice.

My comment still stands as otos are extremely sensitive to water chemistry changes. If you are adding something to your tank Epson salt, aquarium salt, medication, quick fix chemicals, etc it will affect your water chemistry. There is no way around that. Its pretty widely known also that some fish do no handle salt of any type well, one being otos.

I believe Epson salt when used correctly has a beneficial use to the hobby, but that's not being added directly to the tank. Aquarium salt I really think is a big waste of time.

Upvote 0

jake37

You do understand that he is using it as a fertilizer and not as a treatment for fishes and therefore 'pail' treatment is not horribly useful.

This comment should not be taken that i recommend its usage or it will help with the plant issue but still I think you are overstating your position. I will say that in my usage my ottos have never been obviously impacted (though there is no way for me to know if their longevity has been impacted - but after 6 months from last usage they are still ticking).

I believe Epson salt when used correctly has a beneficial use to the hobby, but that's not being added directly to the tank. Aquarium salt I really think is a big waste of time.

Upvote 0

waterpat

Epsom salt is magnesium chloride, and it is certainly a salt.

Upvote 0

jake37

No. It is magnesium sulfate and the salt we speak of being bad for cory is sodium.

Epsom salt is magnesium chloride, and it is certainly a salt.

Upvote 0

waterpat

No. It is magnesium sulfate and the salt we speak of being bad for cory is sodium.

I was so distracted by you calling "epson" (sp) salt not a salt that I made a typo. It is magnesium sulfate, indeed.

It is also, certainly, a salt.

Upvote 0

jake37

Your arguing about semantics we are talking about the chemical composition. It is not sodium and that is the part that is important.

It is also, certainly, a salt.

Upvote 0

waterpat

Your arguing about semantics we are talking about the chemical composition. It is not sodium and that is the part that is important.

It isn't semantics. The statement below is all sorts of wrong.

"Epson Salt's only relationship to salt is the word 'salt'. Words don't kill; chemical composition kill. Epson salt is NOT salt."

The "chemical composition" of Epsom salt is that of a salt. It is a combination of ions. If you dissolve it in water, the salinity of water is raised.

Upvote 0

jake37

Yes what you said is true and it is true my statement has errors BUT what should have been said is sodium is deadly to cory and epson salt is not sodium. I.e, when salt is used in this thread people are really trying to say sodium. Epson salt is not sodium.

It isn't semantics. The statement below is all sorts of wrong.

"Epson Salt's only relationship to salt is the word 'salt'. Words don't kill; chemical composition kill. Epson salt is NOT salt."

The "chemical composition" of Epsom salt is that of a salt. It is a combination of ions. If you dissolve it in water, the salinity of water is raised.

Upvote 0

Pwilly07

On mine from Target it is definitely magnesium sulfate.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Grace4514
Replies
Views
Wayne73
  • Question
Replies
Views
MakenaSunny2020