My plants are dying on one side of the tank

chadcf

My crypts seem to all be melting away and I'm not sure what to do. Note that this is a well established tank and these plants have been there for over a year with no problems. Recently my FX6 filter died and it's been out of commission waiting for parts (which Fedex is apparently bringing out west on horseback). As you can see from the photo I have the media from it sitting in the tank there. And on this end of the tank there is notably less water flow than their used to be because there is no filter there at the moment. On the other end of the tank is an FX4 that is still going fine and there is a Seachem Tidal 55 filter in the middle of the tank.

Water params have been normal despite losing a big filter, the tank is pretty lightly stocked. It's a 125 gallon, mild co2 injection, lots of light. Attached is a photo of how it looks now and one from a few weeks ago.

Attachments

• 20220116_201410.jpg
    20220116_201410.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20211125_212346.jpg
    20211125_212346.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 12

Demeter

I notice that my own crowded crypt tanks will begin to melt when duckweed covers the surface completely and when the flow is not adequate enough. I would chalk this up to there not being enough flow. Siphon out the melted parts and remove any partially melted leaves as once a leaf starts to melt there's no saving it. The plants should regrow in time though, even the ones that completely melted. If you are only using HOB filters then I suggest getting a good canister filter. They seem to provide better flow and water circulation, maybe keep the other filter in the middle seeing as it's such a large tank.

Other possible reasons for melt is being too crowded (root bound) and if the sand becomes too compacted resulting in the roots being choked and dying. I've had problems with compacted medium grade blasting sand but the effects were a bit different, the leaves simply started yellowing and falling off rather than melting and the plants could easily be uprooted.

Another thing to note, root tabs work wonder for heavy root feeds. If you haven't tried any then I suggest you do so.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
KimAnnKitz
Replies
Views
Flyfisha
Replies
Views
fishkeepernewbie
  • Question
Replies