My planted tank makes me suffer...help

Fishface

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have a problem: my plants won't get healthy! Here's the situation.

I have a 20 gal tank with 2 female bettas, 3 zebra danios, 5 hatchet fish, and one featherfin catfish (yes, I do have plans for a bigger tank - he's a baby now, though). And one algae eating shrimp for my hair algae problem - never see him, though.

I have a bottom layer of laterite, a top layer of live, fine black substrate, and fertilizer tabs around the roots of my plants.

I have a carbon dioxide generator, complete with fermenting yeast, that releases CO2 into the tank via an airstone.

The temp is 80 degrees. The tank has been cycled for a few months now.

I guess it's the lighting. I have two 10 watt bulbs..the half blue half white ones that are meant to cater to the plants and the aesthetic lighting of the tank.

My plants are turning dark brown around the edges and growing transparent newgrowth. So frustrating! I don't know what to do!! There is no salt in the tank!

I have an amazon sword, corkscrew val, wistera, java moss (which is fine), and a few other things I don't know the names of. I know this was long to read - any help is appreciated!!!

THANK YOU!!

Ashley

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You're using the 50/50 like this: . The other bulb in that pic is the one to get or 15w incandescent (which will make more heat tho).

Also something like: might be helpful.

Fishface

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yes! That's exactly what I use!

Thanks, I'll try it. You know, I think that I bought the 50/50s because they told me it would be better for the fish.

Ashley

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fishface said:
Yes! That's exactly what I use!
Thanks, I'll try it. You know, I think that I bought the 50/50s because they told me it would be better for the fish.
Ashley
yea.. sadly they tell us a lot of wrong things at the LFS/LPS

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom