My planted 55 update

1. A

Ap05 Well Known Member Member

Updated photo.

Now dosing Excel Daily. Flourish comp and tetra flora pride twice per week. Osmocote and Peabody RuTabs monthly.

Does this all sound okay? I'm still having so so results. Cabomba is very green but still turns brown almost immediately. Plenty of light is hitting it so I'm not sure what the deal is. [​IMG]

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Your tank looks lovely, very lush green plants.
    I could never keep cabomba alive in tropical tanks, it always turned to mush yet it did well when I had temperate tanks

3. OP
    OP
    A

I turned my temp down to 76. Maybe that will help some. Thanks!

4. OP
    OP
    A

Also rescued this little guy. He was at my local Walmart and was beautiful. I had to rescue him as he was probably just going to die there. He's very active and was really hungry. My wife loves him. This puts me at 5 angels in this 55. I hope they all work out :/[​IMG]

5. Guppy lover12346

Guppy lover12346 New Member Member

Your tank looks lovely!

6. tmills

tmills New Member Member

All you folks with these beautiful planted tanks make me look at a empty 55gal as a south american amazon DT maybe angles maybe discus, you guys got me going!!! Rock on!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

7. jwhorner6

jwhorner6 Well Known Member Member

If that is what you consider "so so results" then I can't wait to see it when you have the results you're looking for. Looks great to me.

8. OP
    OP
    A

Thanks guys :)

9. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Your tank looks great!

10. Amzwiz87

Amzwiz87 Valued Member Member

Amazing! I want to have live plants so bad, but last time I tried my figure 8 puffers just put holes all over them when it was feeding time! My plan is to up my Betta tank to a 10 gallon and do all live plants with a few dwarf frogs! I can't wait! Your pics are making me antsy to do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

11. OP
    OP
    A

I'm starting to see a lot of what looks like fuzz or hair on my tree root and Amazon sword. What do I need to do to get this out? It's growing pretty good on some leaves :/

12. tmills

tmills New Member Member

If it looks kinda like green hair it is probably hair algae, crops up when over abundance of nutrient in water. There are many threads here that address this problem and cures, much more informed then I am, good luck

13. OP
    OP
    A

Are there any fish or anything that eat hair algae? I can't have shrimp due to angels

14. guppy lover

guppy lover Valued Member Member

Nice tank. I'm envious.

GL

15. Marie1

Marie1 Well Known Member Member

You can put Excel in a syringe and shoot it at the hair algae on the leaves. This will help.

What is your lighting? I have never gotten cabomba to grow except under high lights. Your tank looks great by the way.

I keep 5 angels in a 55. There are 3 males and 2 females. There is one "strong" pair in the group. They spawn 3 or 4 times a month. The eggs never make it through the night. The others stay clear of them when they are spawning. The other 2 males will randomly spawn with the other female. Those eggs never make it either. So I think you can keep 5 in a 55. But, adding a new one may be an issue. Keep a eye on the new one to make sure it is not getting picked on. It is beautiful!

16. OP
    OP
    A

My lighting is 2 55 Watt 6500k bulbs. 10 hours a day. Here's a pic I just took. Cabomba is starting to grow across the top and I love it. Do I need to trim?

Wisteria is really taking off. Do I need to trim it too? I love the big jungle look so I have only cropped a few plants.
    [​IMG]

17. OP
    OP
    A

Here's what looks like algae growing pretty much everywhere now. What can I do to stop this. Otos? [​IMG]

18. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

That kinda looks like Staghorn Algae. Dose it have a branching affect? Staghorn is due to low Co2 levels. I know you increased the photoperiod to 10 hours. Your plants are growing faster. I personally would increase your Excel dosing. May want to think about reducing the photoperiod to 8-9 hours.

19. OP
    OP
    A

Yeah it does have a branching effect

20. Adam55

Adam55 Well Known Member Member

You did a really good job with your plants. Looks great.