my plant

1. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

i finally figured out my plant it is a camboda i think thats how you spell it also a buch plant but when you cut it to replant the top should you cut it at a 45 degree angle
    ???
    thanks

2. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

You need a very high light output for a cabomba. It's a beautiful plant but it won't grow under a standard light, not even under moderate light. It needs a lot of wpg's.

3. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

well its growing well in my tank but how do i replant it when if gets too high

4. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

How long have you had this plant so far? It will probably die with time, or otherwise won't do well in the long run. I mean, I wish you best of luck with it and I hope it will grow very well for you. I am just telling you what I have read about this plant. If the plant gets too high, you can cut it off at the top. Here is the information about cabombas and their propagation: http://plantgeek.net/plantguide_search.php?search=cabomba&type=Search I don't know what kind of cabomba you have, so here are a few types. Each is described.

5. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

o according to that site maybe its the carolina fanwort i had looked at another site and it looked like camboda

6. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

This is cabomba: http://plantgeek.net/plantguide_viewer.php?id=43 (click on its picture on the left, you'll see it clearly then)

This is what PlantGeek says about cabomba:

Difficulty: Very Difficult
    Lighting Requirements: Very High
    Tank Placement: Backdrop

7. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

ya i think its the fornwort

8. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Well then, it says Carolina Fanwort kind of Cabomba needs a medium high light. Perhaps it will do well? I hope it does. But I wouldn't be surprised if it faded away with time. What is your tank size and what light do you have (wattage-wise)?

9. Jon Well Known Member Member

what type of bulbs do you have... wattage isnt everything when you compare different bulbs...

10. Marc Well Known Member Member

You could also see how your fish handle leaving the light on a little longer each day.

11. Jon Well Known Member Member

plants dont benefit from additional light after 10-12 hours

12. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

my light is on for 6 hours its a 20w flourescent bulb so .66 approx. watts per gallon and some of them have grown over six inches since i got them a little over 2 weeks ago tank 29 gallons

13. Jon Well Known Member Member

i reccomend having your light on 10-12 hours... your plants are already starving if you've got a .66 wpg set up. If your plants are doing well im happy for you but i suggest bumping up your light time slowly as not to shock your fish.

14. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

20W in a 29G tank won't do for Cabomba in the long run. It may stay fresh looking in the beginning though. The only well-known plants that will live under low light are anubias and javas. You could try and get these for a low-light tank.

15. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

And Jon is right on - plants don't use the light after 12 hours. Leaving the light on for 6 hours is too little for a planted tank. I leave the light on in my tank for around 10 hours a day.

16. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

i know they also are in direct sunlight all day long and the light is on at night so they still are getting a lot of light and in case you didnt know angels like subdued light and i have figured out my plant i talked to the G.M. at my lfs and its hornwort and i just picked up some corksrew/twisted val dont think it will live but you never know 1.50 is worth a try

17. Jon Well Known Member Member

lol no wonder its doing well then hornwart has very low light requirements... GL

18. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

yes now i need to figure out how to cut it and it to still grow after i cut it

19. Jon Well Known Member Member

do you have demersum or submersum hornwort?

20. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

no idea