my plant

1. atmmachine816

atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +2
    i finally figured out my plant it is a camboda i think thats how you spell it also a buch plant but when you cut it to replant the top should you cut it at a 45 degree angle
    ???
    thanks

2. Isabella

Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +25
    You need a very high light output for a cabomba. It's a beautiful plant but it won't grow under a standard light, not even under moderate light. It needs a lot of wpg's.

3. OP
    OP
    atmmachine816

Ratings:
    +2
    well its growing well in my tank but how do i replant it when if gets too high

4. Isabella

Ratings:
    +25
    How long have you had this plant so far? It will probably die with time, or otherwise won't do well in the long run. I mean, I wish you best of luck with it and I hope it will grow very well for you. I am just telling you what I have read about this plant. If the plant gets too high, you can cut it off at the top. Here is the information about cabombas and their propagation: http://plantgeek.net/plantguide_search.php?search=cabomba&type=Search I don't know what kind of cabomba you have, so here are a few types. Each is described.

5. OP
    OP
    atmmachine816

Ratings:
    +2
    o according to that site maybe its the carolina fanwort i had looked at another site and it looked like camboda

6. Isabella

Ratings:
    +25
  7. OP
    OP
    atmmachine816

Ratings:
    +2
    ya i think its the fornwort

8. Isabella

Ratings:
    +25
    Well then, it says Carolina Fanwort kind of Cabomba needs a medium high light. Perhaps it will do well? I hope it does. But I wouldn't be surprised if it faded away with time. What is your tank size and what light do you have (wattage-wise)?

9. Jon

Jon Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    what type of bulbs do you have... wattage isnt everything when you compare different bulbs...

10. Marc

Marc Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +1
    You could also see how your fish handle leaving the light on a little longer each day.

11. Jon

Ratings:
    +0
    plants dont benefit from additional light after 10-12 hours

12. OP
    OP
    atmmachine816

Ratings:
    +2
    my light is on for 6 hours its a 20w flourescent bulb so .66 approx. watts per gallon and some of them have grown over six inches since i got them a little over 2 weeks ago tank 29 gallons

13. Jon

Ratings:
    +0
    i reccomend having your light on 10-12 hours... your plants are already starving if you've got a .66 wpg set up. If your plants are doing well im happy for you but i suggest bumping up your light time slowly as not to shock your fish.

14. Isabella

Ratings:
    +25
    20W in a 29G tank won't do for Cabomba in the long run. It may stay fresh looking in the beginning though. The only well-known plants that will live under low light are anubias and javas. You could try and get these for a low-light tank.

15. Isabella

Ratings:
    +25
    And Jon is right on - plants don't use the light after 12 hours. Leaving the light on for 6 hours is too little for a planted tank. I leave the light on in my tank for around 10 hours a day.

16. OP
    OP
    atmmachine816

Ratings:
    +2
    i know they also are in direct sunlight all day long and the light is on at night so they still are getting a lot of light and in case you didnt know angels like subdued light and i have figured out my plant i talked to the G.M. at my lfs and its hornwort and i just picked up some corksrew/twisted val dont think it will live but you never know 1.50 is worth a try

17. Jon

Ratings:
    +0
    lol no wonder its doing well then hornwart has very low light requirements... GL

18. OP
    OP
    atmmachine816

Ratings:
    +2
    yes now i need to figure out how to cut it and it to still grow after i cut it

19. Jon

Ratings:
    +0
    do you have demersum or submersum hornwort?

20. OP
    OP
    atmmachine816

Ratings:
    +2
    no idea