my plant

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I finally figured out my plant it is a camboda I think that's how you spell it also a buch plant but when you cut it to replant the top should you cut it at a 45 degree angle
???
thanks

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You need a very high light output for a cabomba. It's a beautiful plant but it won't grow under a standard light, not even under moderate light. It needs a lot of wpg's.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
How long have you had this plant so far? It will probably die with time, or otherwise won't do well in the long run. I mean, I wish you best of luck with it and I hope it will grow very well for you. I am just telling you what I have read about this plant. If the plant gets too high, you can cut it off at the top. Here is the information about cabombas and their propagation: I don't know what kind of cabomba you have, so here are a few types. Each is described.

OP
atmmachine816

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
o according to that site maybe its the carolina fanwort I had looked at another site and it looked like camboda

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
This is cabomba: (click on its picture on the left, you'll see it clearly then)

This is what PlantGeek says about cabomba:

Difficulty: Very Difficult
Lighting Requirements: Very High
Tank Placement: Backdrop

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well then, it says Carolina Fanwort kind of Cabomba needs a medium high light. Perhaps it will do well? I hope it does. But I wouldn't be surprised if it faded away with time. What is your tank size and what light do you have (wattage-wise)?

Jon

Well Known
Reaction score
what type of bulbs do you have... wattage isn't everything when you compare different bulbs...

Marc

Well Known
Reaction score
You could also see how your fish handle leaving the light on a little longer each day.

Jon

Well Known
Reaction score
plants don't benefit from additional light after 10-12 hours

OP
atmmachine816

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
my light is on for 6 hours its a 20w fluorescent bulb so .66 approx. watts per gallon and some of them have grown over six inches since I got them a little over 2 weeks ago tank 29 gallons

Jon

Well Known
Reaction score
I reccomend having your light on 10-12 hours... your plants are already starving if you've got a .66 wpg set up. If your plants are doing well I'm happy for you but I suggest bumping up your light time slowly as not to shock your fish.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
20W in a 29G tank won't do for Cabomba in the long run. It may stay fresh looking in the beginning though. The only well-known plants that will live under low light are anubias and javas. You could try and get these for a low-light tank.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
And Jon is right on - plants don't use the light after 12 hours. Leaving the light on for 6 hours is too little for a planted tank. I leave the light on in my tank for around 10 hours a day.

OP
atmmachine816

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I know they also are in direct sunlight all day long and the light is on at night so they still are getting a lot of light and in case you didnt know angels like subdued light and I have figured out my plant I talked to the G.M. at my lfs and its hornwort and I just picked up some corksrew/twisted val don't think it will live but you never know 1.50 is worth a try

Jon

Well Known
Reaction score
lol no wonder its doing well then hornwart has very low light requirements... GL

New Threads