My Plans: Tell me what you think.

1. cameronpalte Member Member

Ok, so some of you may know this by now, but I had a raging illness through my 55g which wiped out most of my fish. So now I have plans to do things again and better this time.

To start out with I going to try to convince my mom to get me another 10g but that probably won't happen unless I bring home some amazing grades, so in the end I'll try to plan without it.

So here are my plans.

To start I'm going to make sure the 5 fish that are left totally heal up (or they may die off). This will take at least 4 weeks because I want to be 100% sure. At this point, I'm going to transfer those 5 fish (3 platy + 1 swordtail + 1 guppy) to a 2.5 g (temp.). At this point I'm going to a do a 100% water change on the 55g twice, boil my fake plants ect., and wash my gravel. Once I have the new water (third time) back in and everything clean then I'll move on to the next step.

I'm going to let it sit for around 24 hours before adding all my guppy fry to the tank (19 of them). They are young but in the 5 weeks by when this happens they should be big enough for me to not cover the filter.

Then the 5 fish will be transferred to the 10g where my fry were from there 2.5g holding and the 10g will be there new home.

The 55g will be turned into effectively a fry tank, and I plan on removing all the fake plants from there and distributing them in other tanks and then getting a nice plant package.
    http://www.petsolutions.com/I/Nice-And-Easy-Plant-Pack.aspx

I will add in the plants with the fry and then I will wait several weeks to see how there doing. I may let the guppies in there reproduce by themselves, though I will probably buy some more online and add them to the tank after the few weeks.

This is why a 10g would be so helpful. Another 10g would allow me to transfer the fish from the 55g there and then clean the 55g, plant it, and after all that, introduce fish. I may just ask to get a 10g glass from walmart for $13 but then I need a filter heater, and the kit is only $50 at pet co so I'll see what my parents say.

Tell me what you think.

2. Meeps83 Well Known Member Member

3. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Your plan sounds well thought out and well planned. Get those good grades so your parents will let you get the 10 gallon on their dime.

4. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Ahh, but this time Cameron is going to wait, and be patient.... isn't that right Cameron :;hf ;)

Cameron - just make sure you keep your media going and transfer it with your stock to maintain any cycle you have. It's a good plan so far.

I have two queries/comments:

Guppy and Platy - just be careful mixing live bearers. I have read reports of 'hybrids'. Someone with experience in this area may be able to confirm for me, because I can't remember which species are known to inter-breed. Or do some research here on fishlore, I've seen plenty of advice about it. (This is not a criticism of your plan, just something that jumped into my head)

And a word on boiling fake plants etc - again be a little careful. I've put fake plants and decor in warm to hot water before, and it bleached them (took away the colour)

Keep us informed mate, it looks like a plan!

5. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Platies and guppies are ok.

Guppies can crosss breed with endlers and mollies
    Platies can cross breed with swordtails.

6. QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

Ryan - Guppies, endlers, and mollies can crossbreed. Platies and swordtails can crossbreed.

7. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Thanks Lexi :;hf

Cameron, you've got Platies and a swordtail. Please consider Lexi and Q's comments :D

8. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

As long as he isn't distributing fry, I don't see a problem with keeping them together :;dk

9. cameronpalte Member Member

Yay patience! The 55g would of been running with these 5 fish for around 2-3 weeks by the time I had the guppy fry into them (19 of them at around 3 weeks old each at the time). Will that be fine or how long should I wait with the 5 fish in the 55g?

I will be keeping all my media when I transfer.

Also on another note about cleaning the plants and decor, I know I will have to clean them (hope color doesn't go away) but a majority of the plants will be transferred to my 2 (10g) (hopefully:)).

I was planning on planting my 55g with real plants as I think that will be benificial especially since when my 55 becomes a guppy tank it will be "survival of the fittest".

I found a nice plant package:
    http://www.petsolutions.com/I/Nice-And-Easy-Plant-Pack.aspx
    but what do you guys think about it? It doesn't give any specific plants, but the ones I'm planning on ordering will be for 40-65g plant pack so it will probably be fine with me. It says lighting what I have should be fine (2 fluorecent bulbs) though I may try to upgrade my lighting if I have a few $...

Is there any beginners guide on plants or anything I need to know. what should I do for soil, gravel is fine or should I add something else, and all that.

Thanks for all the help guys!

10. cameronpalte Member Member

If the platies have fry with the swordtails by chance in a low plant/cover 10g with swordtail + 3 platies + guppy I am pretty sure they will all be eaten. I can look into this more though, thanks for advice.

Also, on the plants note I heard they should be quarantined for several day incase there carrying animals. What do you recommend for this.

11. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I think you have way too many threads about 'your plans' and 'starting over'.

Before considering another tank please work to get your existing tank cycled.
    You'll find a lot less instances of illness.

When fish are fighting stress factors such as toxins in the water their immune system is focused on fighting this attack.
    Now their resistance is down.
    This allows harmful micro oragnisms that may be present a way 'in'.

So my advice is slow down.
    Stop thinking about the future and deal with the now.

12. cameronpalte Member Member

How can you tell your tank is cycled. All of my water perameters remain 0 (nitrate, nitrite, ammonia). I know if it was cycled there would be some nitrate but now its showing nothing. I do some water changes w/ prime every other day or every day it varies, and test daily or every other day... is this ok? What should I do to cycle with my current fish.

Thanks for the advice!

Also, question out of the blue. Would red cherry shrimp be able to eat baby guppies and would guppies be able to eat baby red cherry shrimp?

13. SJ408 Initiate Member

You know your tank is cycled when you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and some nitrates, but unless you have tons of plants that suck up the nitrates, then I'd say you have not started a cycle.

14. cameronpalte Member Member

I don't have a ton of plants that suck up the nitrates so I'd have to agree with you, but with 0 everything I am pretty sure my levels are dangerous:).

Also random off topic idea out of the blue. Are there any advantages and is it possible to put live rock in a freshwater tank?

Do plants grow in my regular gravel, or do I need to add special substrate?

15. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

I dont know if anybody commented on thia but would a 10 is too small for a swordtail IMO

16. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

When cycling with fish it's a doubled edged sword.
    There needs to be some ammonia in the tank in order for the bacteria to grow.
    However, as you know it can make fish ill.
    BUT keeping it at 0 your tank will never cycle.

I'm really confused as to where everyone is.
    The adults are in the 55, heated and filtered?
    Where are the fry? Is their tank heated with a filter?

17. cameronpalte Member Member

Sorry I'm confusing. Thanks for the advice on filter. Ok, so as of now the adults (1 swordtail, 1 guppy, 3 platy) are in the 55g (heated and filtered). The fry are in the 10g which is heated, and I do daily water changes and for the filter I am planning on taking one of my nets (the small one I used to transfer fry originally from there 2.5g birth place to 10g), and cut of the net part and tape it around the filter but trying to find "underwater tape"...

My plans are put the adults in the 10g, put the babies in the 55g. wait till they grow add a few more adults to 55g and thats probably it for at least a year (besides planting my aquarium) and at that point I may convert a 2.5g to a shrimp tank (or earlier) and who knows what.

18. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Cable ties (zip ties) or use cotton to tie it around the filter intake.

A better solution for fry tanks though are sponge filters ;)

19. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

um random question, if you already have a 10 gallon, why not use that as the fry tank and then when they get bigger put them in the 55 with the adult fish?

20. cameronpalte Member Member

2 reasons. Firstly, I want a guppy only tank in the large tank, I don't know its just something I want, just like always wanting a 55g neon tetra only tank.
    Second, those fish have a disease though it will probably be cured by that time.

I don't know a 55g guppy only tank seems really interesting:).