my plans for a 33 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by CharlieSheen, Nov 27, 2012.

1. C

CharlieSheen Valued Member Member

So after careful consideration, here are my plans for a 33 Gallon Tank.

1 Red Double-Tail Betta :;betta2
    1 Blue Mystery Snail ;snail
    6 Kuhli Loaches:;bananapurple
    7 Galaxy Rasboras :;fg
    1 Bristlenose Pleco :tophat:
    2 Red Swordtails :pokey:
    1 Amano Shrimp :;scorpion

Now, this makes a total of 19 fish, 17 if you don't count the inverts. But I've been told this was alright. Now, my new question is-- What could replace what? Could I replace the Kuhlis with a Peacock Eel or two, Amanos with Red Cherries, etc.

Thanks for all the help,
    Charlie Sheen T.

2. J

JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

Okay IMO do not add the betta unless you have a fully cycled back up tank for him. Bettas can be very calm or very crazy in a community tank if it was me I would do a honey gourami or apostio(red cockatoos are nice) and peacock eels get way to big for a 33 gallon my dads is 8" and she is only 2yrs old. I would keep the stocking plan u have but replace the betta.

3. RandomZoid

RandomZoid Valued Member Member

Second that and add that you could replace the Amano with a colony of Red Cherry Shrimp, start with about 5 and you will have 50 in a matter of a couple months.

Another good option for a small Pleco would be Clown Plecos. I like mine a lot, he hides a lot though. My Bristlenose comes out a lot and I like her a lot too but it's a Long-Fin Albino, very pretty fish.

Your 7 Galaxy Rasboras could be replaced with any other small peaceful shoaling fish. Although I like the Galaxy Rasboras a lot, personally I would just do 12-15 of them instead of 7. I would go with:

1 Blue Mystery Snail ;snail
    5 Kuhli loaches
    15 Galaxy Rasboras
    1 Bristlenose/Clown Pleco or both
    2 Red Swordtails
    1 Amano Shrimp or colony of Red Cherry

1 or 2 Dwarf Cichlid or Dwarf Gourami of choice instead of the Betta. I really like the Apistogrammas, I just got 2 today, a Macmasteri and a Double Red. I also have 2 Dwarf Gouramis which are in my avatar <---- Very pretty after they are fed right they get super bright.

If you have your heart set on a Betta then do it, but I don't recommend them with a community.

4. OP
    OP
    C

Not only do I like Bettas, It's a must, as I already have him. I've named him Malarkey.

So how much to Galaxy Rasboras cost? One seller on ebay said 4,000$ each, and if that's true, :;fru

5. F

Faber1790 Valued Member Member

Do you already have your betta in the community tank? If so you'll have to be careful adding other fish. They gey more aggressive after they have established their territory. You might want to set up and cucle a 5 gallon to keep him in until your stocking is complete. If that isn't an option. Take him out and rearrange your decor and acclimate the new fish before putting hom back in. Best of luck, but be prepared he may not be suited to community living. Hope it works out for ypu though!

6. OP
    OP
    C

No, I have him in a 1.5 Gallon bowl right now, for safekeeping. He nips on my Mystery Snail, who lives with him, every so often. He also flares randomly at the grey wall. He mainly enjoys chasing around anything that's in his territory, but he won't hurt them unless they look like his food (I fed him Mosquito Larva once, which looked a little like the Mystery's antena) And he chased around the Ghost shrimp until they died. (I found out I had a small amount of copper in the metal holding my live plant together. Removed it and the tank is as good as new).

I'd put the other fish first, one by one, so it'd cycle. What would be the order? And how expensiv e are Galaxy Rasboras?

:;thx

7. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Welcome to FishLore!!

Sounds like your betta has already shown he's not meant for a community tank.

The other fish will be stressed from being chased all the time.
    Stress brings it's own ramifications.

It might be a good idea to read this.
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...-stress-its-role-fish-disease.html#post895113

We relaize you want your betta in the community tank but fish keeping isn't always about what we want but what is best for the fish.

The decision of course is yours.
    Good luck. :)

8. OP
    OP
    C

Are you sure? Because it enjoys racing with anything-- It uses it's fins to stir up water a bit and chases and flakes or bloodworms dropped into the water. When it doesn't do anything is swims around the perimiter of the tank really fast. I understand, but when I got the betta it was being kept with other fish.

9. J

JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

Betta tolerate other tank mates betta prefer to be alone I only lucky with one of my boys in a community tank but that is because he was just a baby when added and I ALWAYS had a back up tank ready for him if he ever changed his mind about being in the tank and at 6 months old he did and that was the day he went in his 3 gallon tank and lived there until he was 7 yrs old.

10. F

Faber1790 Valued Member Member

I've had good luck keeping my female betta in a community, but she's pretty mellow and all the fish are much faster than her. I have another tank running in case she decides she doesn't like it though. Though I've never personally done I know people who have), male bettas don't seem to like community enviroments. It really seems to stress them out if they aren't trying to kill anybody. Female bettas seem much more suited to it. If you decide to try your male in be sure to have a backup plan in case it doesn't work. As Lucy said he's demonstrated he might not be suitable.

11. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I agree, nix the betta. If you can afford to set up a 33 gallon tank, you can also afford to get a 5 gallon tank for your betta. Obviously it's your choice and we can't force you to do anything, but no reason to ask people's opinions if you're not going to listen to them ;) There are too many stories of people who've had bettas in community tanks for months with no problems, then woke up one morning to either a dead betta or dead community fish. No reason to risk it.

12. OP
    OP
    C

I'll have a backup tank just in case, don't worry. :)

But as I was trying to explain, Malarkey (My male betta) Was already in a community tank when I bought him. So would this mean he's used to living with other fish?

13. kinezumi89

Not necessarily, and it doesn't mean he liked it either ;) You can't keep betta fry together and expect them to get along just because they've always been together. It's in their genes to be solitary fish.

14. OP
    OP
    C

Hm, this is quite confusing.

This Website: Bettas are solitary
    My Research: Bettas are social
    The Book I rented: Bettas are solitary, but some fish go well with them.

I'll use a mix of all three, so I can't get it completly wrong. Also, I've found my betta is a Veil-Tail, not double tail. Are Veiltails more or less agressive? Because I heard that some, such as Crowntails, are more agressive than others.

15. RandomZoid

RandomZoid Valued Member Member

All Bettas are naturally solitary fish. Some can do ok in a community. This doesn't mean it's ideal for them or any of the other fish. It's possible that this could work out but we are just warning you about what most of us have experienced or what we've heard could happen.

The main reason we are all warning against this is we've all heard stories of a Betta that gets along great for months then you wake up to 3 dead fish every morning until you remove it. Just some food for thought, take it or leave it.

16. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

I don't know what kind of research you've been doing but most reputable sources out there are not going to call bettas (male bettas especially) a social fish. They are called fighting fish for a reason.

Mixing all three means you won't get it completely wrong, but it also means you won't get it completely right either.

I have kept male bettas in community tanks and it's worked out well, but I've also tried it and ended in failure, so it's a hit and miss thing. Each one is different, tail pattern aside.

17. kinezumi89

Took the words right out of my mouth. You're obviously not researching in credible sources.

It has been said many times, in many threads, including this one.

1. Bettas are solitary creatures by nature.
    2. All bettas are different.
    3. Some will tolerate a community setting. Of those, some will, as they age, change behaviour and begin to not tolerate living with other fish.
    4. Other bettas will tolerate any other creatures in their tank, not even a snail.
    5. If you wish to risk keeping a betta in a tank with other fish, that is your prerogative, but it is also your responsibility to be able to separate him should things turn sour.

That seems pretty short and sweet to me ;)

18. Lucy

It can be confusing.
    Fish don't read website, books or care what any one else's experience was.

They're gonna do what they're gonna do.

However, we are talking your particular betta who, according to you:

"nips on my Mystery Snail"
    "mainly enjoys chasing around anything that's in his territory"
    and
    "chased around the ghost shrimp until they died".

19. OP
    OP
    C

No, he nipped on the Antenna once, until he found out it wasn't food.
    He does chase anything in his tank, but even before he was with anything he looked bored and swam around his tank like it was a race.
    And he chased the ghost shrimp until they died from the small amount of copper on the metal strip that held the plant together. The Ghost shrimp were never hurt by him, they stayed in the little cave (Which the batta couldn't fit in) all night.

Also, I understand bettas have different personalities.

What I read on other Websites:
    "Bettas are often thought as being solitary, but they do enjoy company of certain types of fish, snails, and frogs."
    What I read here is that bettas prefer being alone.
    What I read in the Betta Care book I rented:
    "Bettas are very much live-and-let-live fish when it comes to other species. Provided a fish is too large for him/her to swallow it, and provided it isn't another betta, it will leave it alone." And goes on to talk about how other fish are more deadly to the betta than the betta is to them.

20. Lucy

Sounds like you're justifying a decision you've already made and want us to agree with you.

Members have given their opinions.
    The choice is your yours :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice