My Pirahnas Are Breeding

TREVER

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I HAVE 5 RED BELLIED PIRAHNAS AND THEY HAVE BEEN BREEDING THEY LEAVE EGGS AT THE BOTTEM OF THE TANK THEN ONE STAYS AND GUARDS THEM.MY QUESTIONS ARE WHAT DO I DO WITH THE EGGS I LEFT THEM IN THE TANK LAST TIME AND NOTHING HAPPENED THEY DISSAPPEARED WHAT SHOULD THEY LOOK LIKE IF THERE FERTILE WHAT COLOR SHOULD THEY BE I FIGURED IF I LEFT THEM IN THE TANK THEY WOULD HATCH THEN I WOULD REMOVE THEM BUT THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN.WHATS THE BEST WAY TO TELL IF THEY ARE FERTILE.AND THE BEST WAY TO HELP THEY HATCH ????

Dlondon95

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Welcome to Fishlore!

If they are fertile, I'm pretty sure they should have a yellowish color. As long as they aren't white, they are fine. The reason they disappeared is because they were eaten. If you really want to raise fry, you need to set up a separate tank to put the eggs in as soon as you see them.

Also, typing in all caps makes it a little hard to read, so please use regular letters.

Hope you enjoy the site!

OP
T

TREVER

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
so once my eggs hatch what do they look like i've been searching sites for pics to see if mine look the same but I can't find any.I figure once they hatch they will look like small fish swimming around the tank..right my other eggs has little stringy things coming out of them any idea what that was ????

Dlondon95

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm not really familiar with Piranha breeding, so i'm not sure exactly what they look like. Most fish though will just look like little specs. The eggs with stringy things you are describing sound like fish fry! When they are first hatched, they keep their yolk sac for food for a few days. They just look like eggs with tails and little eyes.

New Threads