My Pictus

swer2drunkinotgd

Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon tank with 3 tiger barbs, 2 bala sharks, a plecostomus, and a pictus catfish. In my tank i have a little treasure chest that the plecostomus and the pictus stay in all day. I was wondering if it is normal for a pictus catfish to stay in the chest all day, i understand that plecostomus are nocturnal, but i wasn't sure if pictus are. I see my pictus come out and night and very rarely come out during the day. When I see the pictus leave the chest during the day he swims at the bottom for a lap or 2 then retreats back to the treasure chest. Any suggestions? Should I remove the chest?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm really sorry to tell you your tank is seriously overstocked.
Bala sharks are schooling fish and do better in groups of three or more and grow to be about 10 inches. Here are the recommendations for bala sharks.

Pictus cats need lots of hiding places(rocks, driftwood, plants) to feel safe. It also gets to about 10 inches. Here are recommenadations for them.

Your plec is probably a common plec. and they can get over 12 inches.
So as you see you are going to need a much larger tank to keep these beautiful happy and healthy.
By all means leave all th hiding places you have,The majority of the fish in that tank are bottom dwellers and need hiding places.
Carol

swer2drunkinotgd

Reaction score
Oh, every fish store i went to said that it wouldn't be a problem because the fish only grow larger if the tank is larger.. The only one that i have seen grow in the 2 and a half months that I have had the tank is the pleco.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sometimes fish stores don't quite tell you the truth so you will go ahead and buy the fish. Here is a thread and link I thing you will find interesting.

Carol

swer2drunkinotgd

Reaction score
alright, so i dont see myself buying a tank anytime soon for lack of money, what do you suggest i do with the sharks?

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Do you live in an area where folks have garage sales? Often times you can pick up a used tank fairly cheap! Just make sure it holds water (outside) and clean it really well, before you use it. That is what I would do, if it were me. The bala sharks need lots of room, but that pleco is going to start producing copious amounts of waste. All in all you really don't have much time the way it is stocked right now before you are having problems. I would also consider the idea that just because fish won't grow to their full potential if cramped into a small aquarium, is not a good reason to do this to them. I think feet don't grow if they are always bound, but would never do that to my children....they wouldn't have much fun playing! Good Luck! :

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Also in the classifieds under pet supplies there are frequently great deals on tanks. Your local freecycle is another option.
carol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom