My "pick A Poo" Plan... Help

1. SidTheAquarist

SidTheAquarist New Member Member

Dear all,

There is a plan for me to execute today evening. I am keen to share it with you before hand to take in your views, comments and advice. It could be a bit long, so thanks for bearing with it.

My fishtank is 33g with sand substrate and 5 young discus. Being sand, it shows out every time the fish poo. I do a weekly 50% water change but i feel like getting rid of the gunk atleast 2 - 3 times a week if not immediately. What prevents me from doing this is the mere effort it takes, pipes, buckets, water spills, you know it.

I have a spare power head (from a tank that broke earlier, i kept the powerhead and the light ).

The plan is to connect the powerhead to a 22" long straight rigid pvc pipe (with a control valve at its inlet) and a flexible hose at the powerhead's outlet. The flexible hose will have a sock tied to its other end. The sock will remain submerged in water. The powerhead will have a handle attached to it if required as i believe it cannot remain outside water even once primed and running and its open boundaries sealed with silicone glue.

Once powered the free end of the pvc pipe would go to the bottom to suck out the gunk. It would get captured in the sock and water would go back to the fishtank. The handle could be used to "aim" the pvc pipe end at the gunk.

The control valve is for security. In case a leaf gets into the suction, the control valve can be closed momentarily to release the leaf and move on.

I have attached a reference sketck for your reference please.

Request all to let me know if you think this would work and if you have anything more to say.

Thanks a lot.

Sid pap.jpg

2. Gala

Gala Well Known Member Member

That sounds like a good idea! Pretty genius too, post a pic when you start using it!

3. kbn

kbn Valued Member Member

Ingenious. I'm watching this thread for tho pic!

4. bgclarke

bgclarke Well Known Member Member

Interesting idea.

I have an Eheim vacuum for similar usage, but it doesn't work well with sand.

I use Seachem Pristine for cleaning up gravel and sand.

5. OP
    OP
    SidTheAquarist

SidTheAquarist New Member Member

Thanks gor your comments.
    Please see the pics rev1 and rev2.

I tried rev1 last night. It worked well for half the tank. I got a good amount of gunk collected in the sock.

But had a few issues. The flexible hoses were long and difficult to manage. Got entangled in drift wood. My mind was split in hose management, keeping power head under water, aiming, etc. By that time the old power head started to have problems running. It stopped intermittently. It had to be scrapped.

My learning is that perhaps rev2 will be a better idea i.e. small suctuon pipe and long holding pipe. No hoses and power head always under water.

So once i get a new power head, i will try out rev2.

Please let me know if you have any comments.

Thanks.

Rev1 & Rev2 pap1.jpg pap2.jpg

Yes, i read an online review on that.
    The issue mentioned there was low suction power with the batteries.