My Ph Has Gone Up.

sylviepld

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello everyone. I have a 45 gallon planted tank with two HOB filters. After two years of having a pH around 7-7.2 my pH has recently gone up to 7.8. A few months ago I added some mopani wood but I thought that this could cause the pH to decrease not increase. I also have added several more live plants but apart from that nothing has changed. Any ideas why my pH has increased like this? How can I get it down and keep it down? TIA

Update:
I think that everyone is correct. I went online and did some research and the same thing has happened to other people who use the all purpose Flourish. I read in several places that it can raise your pH eg. 7.4 to 8.0. I don't think I really need the fertilizer so I'll stop using it and see what happens. I'll update later. Thanks for your input everyone.

Last edited:

Rivermonster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Tests can give different results over time. Add more wood if you want it to lower but your fish appear fine wouldnt bother trying to lower it

Rivermonster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Not sure, if flourish increases kh (alkanlity) - prob does slighlty - then yes ph would increase. If plants have used less nutrients for some reason(less light?) then you may have more in your tank.
Are you adding flourish correctly - only pro rata to new water being added each time

sylviepld

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not sure, if flourish increases kh (alkanlity) - prob does slighlty - then yes ph would increase. If plants have used less nutrients for some reason(less light?) then you may have more in your tank.
Are you adding flourish correctly - only pro rata to new water being added each time
I've been adding a bit less than what the directions say and less often so I'm sure I'm not adding too much.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Might be pH, KH and GH changes from your tap but the value of your pH shouldn't matter.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom