My Ph Has Gone Up.

Discussion in 'pH' started by sylviepld, Apr 12, 2017.

1. sylviepld

sylviepld Valued Member Member

Hello everyone. I have a 45 gallon planted tank with two HOB filters. After two years of having a pH around 7-7.2 my pH has recently gone up to 7.8. A few months ago I added some mopani wood but I thought that this could cause the pH to decrease not increase. I also have added several more live plants but apart from that nothing has changed. Any ideas why my pH has increased like this? How can I get it down and keep it down? TIA

Update:
    I think that everyone is correct. I went online and did some research and the same thing has happened to other people who use the all purpose Flourish. I read in several places that it can raise your pH eg. 7.4 to 8.0. I don't think I really need the fertilizer so I'll stop using it and see what happens. I'll update later. Thanks for your input everyone.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  2. Rivermonster

Rivermonster Valued Member Member

Tests can give different results over time. Add more wood if you want it to lower but your fish appear fine wouldnt bother trying to lower it

3. Rivermonster

Have you added and rocks, stone? Plant food fert?
    Tap water can change over time aswell

4. Rivermonster

Liquids?

5. OP
    OP
    sylviepld

I did start adding flourish for my plants about 2 months ago. Will that change my pH?

6. Rivermonster

Not sure, if flourish increases kh (alkanlity) - prob does slighlty - then yes ph would increase. If plants have used less nutrients for some reason(less light?) then you may have more in your tank.
    Are you adding flourish correctly - only pro rata to new water being added each time

7. OP
    OP
    sylviepld

I've been adding a bit less than what the directions say and less often so I'm sure I'm not adding too much.

8. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Might be pH, KH and GH changes from your tap but the value of your pH shouldn't matter.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice