My Petco Rant

Heather M

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I was at Petco today when I saw a very beautiful dark blackish-blue crown tail. When I looked closer, I noticed that his stomach was bulging. It looked to me like constipation. While the fish guy was feeding them, my mom asked about the food he was giving them. He said they get about 5-6 bloodworms per meal. He then, in his haste, threw in at least twice that amount, if not more. I find this kind of blatant carelessness unacceptable. The last time I was at petco I saw a very badly constipated veil tail. The poor thing looked as though it swallowed something the size of the end of my little finger. At the time I wondered how it got that bad. Now I know.

fishtroy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ignorant people. A little more care and they could save lives. Did you ask him to cut the food down? At the end of the day, using less food will cost the store less so they might actually listen.

Heather M

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
fishtroy said:
Ignorant people. A little more care and they could save lives. Did you ask him to cut the food down? At the end of the day, using less food will cost the store less so they might actually listen.
I probably should have, but I didn't. I tend to get angry and say things I later regret. I'm going to send an e-mail to their store feedback address, and see if I can get them to respond.

pinksprklmonkey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
They're all terrible. There is no respect for life of any kind.

Nitro Junkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
To most stores that sell fish,the fish are disposable. They are not what makes the store money. The tanks and all the equipment to keep the fish is where the profits are.

This may sound harsh,but if you don't like how they keep the fish,don't go to that store.

Heather M

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Nitro Junkie said:
To most stores that sell fish,the fish are disposable. They are not what makes the store money. The tanks and all the equipment to keep the fish is where the profits are.

This may sound harsh,but if you don't like how they keep the fish,don't go to that store.
The thing is, they are sort of the lesser of the evils as far as pet stores in my area goes.

Heather M

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
This is the message I sent to the Petco store feedback address in the contact Petco section of their website. For the purpose of this post, I have omitted the name of the town where my local Petco is located, because I'm sure my parents would rather me not put that kind of personal info on the Internet.

I have a concern about the treatment of the betta fish at the ______ Petco. When I was there yesterday, there was a beautiful male crown tail that looked to be very constipated. It's belly was very swollen like bettas get when they're constipated. Later, my mom was talking with one of the employees while he was feeding the bettas. He told her that each betta gets 5-6 blood worms per meal. He then, in his careless haste, threw in at least double or triple that amount. This is unacceptable. Overfeeding causes constipation, to which bettas are particularly prone. It could save lives if the employees weren't so careless. On a side note, if the overfeeding is stopped, it will save Petco money that would have been spent on excess food. It seems as though there is an extreme lack of respect for life at your store, especially that of the bettas. Constipation is a deadly condition for bettas, and it can be avoided by being less careless. This is not the first constipated betta I have seen at Petco, nor is it the worst case I've seen there. This is not the only concern I have about the care of bettas in your store, but I'm sure nothing would be done about these other concerns, because making money seems to be more important than the welfare of these animals. Thank you for listening to my concerns. I sincerely hope something can be done.

So . . . do you think it was imprudent to be so harsh? I just get really angry and irritated with people who treat animals like that.

Nitro Junkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Heather M said:
The thing is, they are sort of the lesser of the evils as far as pet stores in my area goes.
That's too bad. The big box stores where I live are pretty good. The small local guys are all very good except one,which I never go to.

Your letter seems very well put and respectful. Hopefully it will do some good.

cajunfiberco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
No it is not too harsh. It's just what these stores need to know/hear about. If they will listen

Heather M

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
They've e-mailed me back. This was the reply:

Dear Heather ______,

Thank you for contacting PETCO regarding your concern with our store at _____________. We are sorry to hear about your recent experience.

We would like to take this opportunity to explain how much companion animals mean to us and how we care for them. We are dedicated to ensuring that all animals receive more than just the basics to survive. Our animal care standards ensure that all animals are checked-on every hour. During that check, we observe the health and behaviors of animals, refill food and water and tidy up as needed. This is in addition to the regular full service feeding and cleaning schedule that all animals receive daily. PETCO associates treat our animals as if they were their own pets, often spending great amounts of time playing with, talking to and socializing the animals so they will make good pets for their new owners.

We also invest a great deal of time hiring associates who not only love animals but also share our passion for th eir well-being and quality of life. We have developed industry-leading practices, training programs and animal-specific care information to educate our associates and customers on excellent care standards. They provide the direction needed so our associates (and new pet owners) know and understand the high standards we expect regarding appropriate animal care. It is our goal to provide as much help and knowledge to our associates as possible. In the end, this ensures our companion animals receive the highest level of care. We appreciate your concern by bringing this up to our attention. Rest assure that we will be escalating this concern to the proper department so we can properly address your concern.

Please know that we care about our customers and what they think of us. By letting us know when we fall short of your expectations, we have the opportunity to address your concerns and to be better prepared to meet your expectations in the future. If we can be of any fu rther assistance, please feel free to reply to this communication or call PETCO Customer Relations directly at 1-888-824-PALS (7257). Thank you again for contacting PETCO.

Sincerely,

Arman M.
Customer Relations Coordinator

This has irritated me further. It amazes me that they say they are committed to giving their animals the best care and not just the bare minimum of what they need to survive, but then treat their bettas like they do. I have half a mind to send them another letter, but I don't know what I'd say, because I'd just get the same response.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Wow, standard letter or what?? I assume by "companion animal" they are talking about dogs, hamsters, rabbits, not bettas... If so, then we would not see so many posts re PETCO levels of care (in a lot, but not all of the stores...).

I hope it is escalated and you get a response more suited to your enquiry. But thanks for the update, I was wondering what they would say in the end.

jeniferdwn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nice form letter, Petco!!! Oh and how do you play with fish? socialize with fish and I've never seen an employee talk with the fish in a pet store!!!

I can see it now.......'scuse me a second.....If you fish don't stop fighting and gobbling your food down, I'm gonna put you each in a corner!!!

ariolex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
That's a generic letter, probably created by the legal department, not really focused on customers but on avoiding legal action from animal rights advocates.
It will be interseting to have someone else writing a letter about something similar to see if the response letter is the same. I bet you 2mollies it will be!!

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The letter sent, in my opinion, is a standard letter that they would send to any customer who makes a complaint. Because, Heather, you sent a letter regarding bettas and here comes a letter talking about animals, not a betta, not even close to a fish. So I'd suggest to bring your parents down with you and make a complaint in person. As always, from experience, a letter never works because they can easily ignore it but if you go down there in person, there's no chance of ignoring your complaint. You have the right as a customer no matter your age, and you also have the right to watch them do what you want them to do, which is to help the poor bettas.

Hope my opinion and info helped. Best of luck and keep us posted!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads