My Pea Puffer

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
AJE said:
Ok, at this stage he doesn’t “need” aquarium salt but it won’t hurt him, has he been eating
Marine salt not aquarium salt. Aquarium salt is just sodium chloride were marine salt is a mix of all kinds of things that brackish and marine fish need.

eustoma01

Valued Member
Reaction score
Oh no! I agree with everyone else. That isn't a pea puffer but a brackish type and I'm afraid a 5 gallon tank is not big enough for it at all... Hopefully you are able to do a lot of research on the type you have and get it the right conditions.

jules426

Reaction score
Thank you all so much for helping me out with this and yes he is eating

He also lives with my betta fish pleco and 3 snails. So would marine salt hurt my betta pleco and snails?

Minxxy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Your best option is to set him up in his own tank, puffers are sensitive to water conditions and dont do well in community tanks

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
jules426 said:
Thank you all so much for helping me out with this and yes he is eating
What has he been eating?
jules426 said:
He has been with other fish before I had him. What size tank would be the best?
30g

jules426

Reaction score
Alright I will also try live shrimp as well

What kind of live snails would be appropriate

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
jules426 said:
What kind of live snails would be appropriate
I feed mine pond snails and rams horn snails but just about any smaller snails should work

But mts breed the quickest so I would do those if I could

Fish0n

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I am no expert on puffers but compared to the pictures I've seen he looks more bloated than most (thicker at the back of the abdomen right before the tail fin). I just seriously love to look at the little guys so I click on every puffer thread.

Overfeeding and bloat often cause "resting" and decrease in activity levels.
This is just general fish observation. Can someone with more puffer experience confirm?

jules426

Reaction score
He could possibly be bloated but I got him as he looks now and still eats. Maybe he is fat

Minxxy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Careful with MTS they can break the beaks not just file them, my puffers refuse to eat MTS so i have some that are just hangen out in the snail tank, i may feed to my loaches

sharview

Reaction score
It's a female if the belly is all white also she most likely needs to be wormed, there's a group called pea puffers and dwarf puffers very good groups,

PatrickShrimp

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that looks like a gsp. They get to be 6 inches, so a 30 to 40 gallon would be appropriate. They are also quite aggressive I’ve heard, and they do need marine .salt.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom