My Pea Puffer

jules426

I have had my pea puffer for about a week now and he has been very energetic. But now I have noticed he has been hanging around the top of the tank and it looks like he isn't moving or alive which he is. Could he possibly be sick or just resting?

kallililly1973

How long has your tank been set up and what size tank do you have.? Test your water to seeif there is any ammonia or nitrites. Usually when a fish hangs around the top they could be gasping for air if the water is off. Any pics?

jules426

I have had this tank for years and it's a 5 gallon. Yes here is a picture.

I also test the water every day and fix it if I needs it.

Minxxy

Is that fresh or brackish water?

jules426

It water from my sink. I am assuming its fresh water

Minxxy

I'm not an expert on puffers but that one looks a lot like a green spotted

Hopfully someone more versed with puffers chimes in.
How big is he?

jules426

Is that a bad puffer to have? And I don't really know how big he is. I adopted him from my mom's friend

Minxxy

GSP prefer brackish water, a mix between salt and fresh ....
His white white belly made me think Gsp
..do you have other pictures

jules426

Yes I do

Here are the pictures

Minxxy

AJE posted a thread called puffer problems where the lfs sold him a GSP as a pea puffer.
How long has your friend had this little guy

jules426

I have no idea. I will need to ask her. What does GSP stand go?

Minxxy

Green Spotted Puffer

Pea puffer

jules426

So could he be acting sick or just not happy with his setup?

Minxxy

AJE do you think pea or GSP

AJE

100% gsp

jules426

So what should I do to make him more happier? I just added some aquarium salt to the tank.

AJE

jules426

I do not have a clue. I got him from my moms friend and he has been with me since

AJE

jules426 said:
I do not have a clue. I got him from my moms friend and he has been with me since
Is he like an inch, 2”, just guess, don’t need an exact size

jules426

Ya I would go with 2 inches

AJE

jules426 said:
Ya I would go with 2 inches
Ok, at this stage he doesn’t “need” aquarium salt but it won’t hurt him, has he been eating

david1978

AJE said:
Ok, at this stage he doesn’t “need” aquarium salt but it won’t hurt him, has he been eating
Marine salt not aquarium salt. Aquarium salt is just sodium chloride were marine salt is a mix of all kinds of things that brackish and marine fish need.

eustoma01

Oh no! I agree with everyone else. That isn't a pea puffer but a brackish type and I'm afraid a 5 gallon tank is not big enough for it at all... Hopefully you are able to do a lot of research on the type you have and get it the right conditions.

jules426

Thank you all so much for helping me out with this and yes he is eating

He also lives with my betta fish pleco and 3 snails. So would marine salt hurt my betta pleco and snails?

Minxxy

Your best option is to set him up in his own tank, puffers are sensitive to water conditions and don't do well in community tanks

jules426

He has been with other fish before I had him. What size tank would be the best?

jules426

Thank you

AJE

jules426 said:
What has he been eating?
jules426 said:
He has been with other fish before I had him. What size tank would be the best?
30g

jules426

Blood worms and brine shrimp. I am going to go get some snails this weekend for him to eat

Is that the right stuff to feed him? And should I get live bloodwoorms?

Minxxy

Frozen blood worms, frozen brine shrimp, clams on the half shell, live snails, live shrimps, frozen salad shrimp, frozen krill this is my 2 puffers diet

jules426

Alright I will also try live shrimp as well

What kind of live snails would be appropriate

AJE

jules426 said:
What kind of live snails would be appropriate
I feed mine pond snails and rams horn snails but just about any smaller snails should work

But mts breed the quickest so I would do those if I could

jules426

Sounds great

Fish0n

I am no expert on puffers but compared to the pictures I've seen he looks more bloated than most (thicker at the back of the abdomen right before the tail fin). I just seriously love to look at the little guys so I click on every puffer thread.

Overfeeding and bloat often cause "resting" and decrease in activity levels.
This is just general fish observation. Can someone with more puffer experience confirm?

jules426

He could possibly be bloated but I got him as he looks now and still eats. Maybe he is fat

Minxxy

Careful with MTS they can break the beaks not just file them, my puffers refuse to eat MTS so I have some that are just hangen out in the snail tank, I may feed to my loaches

jules426

So then what snails should I feed the little guy?

sharview

It's a female if the belly is all white also she most likely needs to be wormed, there's a group called pea puffers and dwarf puffers very good groups,

PatrickShrimp

Yeah, that looks like a gsp. They get to be 6 inches, so a 30 to 40 gallon would be appropriate. They are also quite aggressive I’ve heard, and they do need marine .salt.

tiffani

jules426 said:
I have had my pea puffer for about a week now and he has been very energetic. But now I have noticed he has been hanging around the top of the tank and it looks like he isn't moving or alive which he is. Could he possibly be sick or just resting?
Hello
GM, I’ve had GSP’s for years. IMO He is a green spotted puffer. He will get bigger-6 inches. He’s brackish water, so try to get bigger tank, 20 gallon if you can, buy instant ocean salt, hydrometer & gradually add salt to his water. GSP babies are freshwater, then swim to salt water as adults. He will soon no longer be able to breathe in freshwater once he’s adult. Puffers need immaculate warm water conditions, so water change at least 50% once or twice a week, clean out filter floss monthly. Also if he’s belly turns black, he’s sick. He at top because he probably needs air, no salt in the water.

jules426 said:

He also lives with my betta fish pleco and 3 snails. So would marine salt hurt my betta pleco and snails?
Hi
Marine salt will kill your freshwater fish, give him his own tank, you can add mollies, bumblebee gobys, etc.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom