My Pea Puffer Pair

TheBettaBar

...is here! Huzzah! But my computer is acting up so no pics yet they are omg so cute though. Well. Actually pretty ugly. So ugly they're adorable.

TheBettaBar

Yay pics!

IMG_0831.jpg
IMG_0829.jpg
IMG_0830.jpg

junebug

It's like the fishy equivalent of an English Bulldog

Ant

Nice! What are you keeping them in?

JRC3

^
yeah, what will they be living in?

They look good and healthy. I would still treat for internal parasites (IPs).

Natural dwarf puffer (DP) numbers are in a bit of trouble so do all you can to keep them healthy.

TheBettaBar

It's like the fishy equivalent of an English Bulldog

Haha perfect description!

Nice! What are you keeping them in?

They're just in a breeder box in the moment, I sort of forgot they were arriving today (whoops) and I'm still rearranging fish to free up their tank .They're gonna be in by themselves in a shallow/wide 12 gallon tub with just a sponge filter and tons of java moss. Should be the perfect spawning setup!

JRC3

Swwet. Have they started eating yet? I feed mine frozen bloodworms and crushed ramshorn snails. In the past I've found they like glassworms too.

TheBettaBar

Swwet. Have they started eating yet? I feed mine frozen bloodworms and crushed ramshorn snails. In the past I've found they like glassworms too.

They nibbled on a few grindal worms! I'm planning on feeding them a mix of baby ramshorms, frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp, and grindal worms. And yeah I think I read your thread on feeding them! Very informative, thanks

TheBettaBar

Some more pics:

IMG_0878.jpg
IMG_0879.jpg

Their own tank:

IMG_0880.JPG

Eek too much space! Must hide under filter:

IMG_0882.jpg

MJDuti

these guys are great! enjoy. I feel like JRC3 would know this - Are they easy to breed or no?

Tonia

I completely ADORE my puffer, Winston. He is so personable and I swear he knows his name. He definitely knows when I am coming with goodies. We did have Marley, a female, but Winston chased her until she wedged herself behind the filter while I was at work

Winston loves his pond snails, and I have some mosquito larvae that I feed him, too.

I hope your new babies do as well as my Winston has done.

Dondomingo

I remember when I had mine in my bowfront, took me forever to find him. He was kinda spooky always looking me up and down.

TheBettaBar

these guys are great! enjoy. I feel like JRC3 would know this - Are they easy to breed or no?

Relatively, as long as they have lots and lots of moss to spawn in and are conditioned well. I think the biggest problems with breeding usually are aggression and cannabalism.

I completely ADORE my puffer, Winston. He is so personable and I swear he knows his name. He definitely knows when I am coming with goodies. We did have Marley, a female, but Winston chased her until she wedged herself behind the filter while I was at work

Winston loves his pond snails, and I have some mosquito larvae that I feed him, too.

I hope your new babies do as well as my Winston has done.

Thanks! And aw poor girlie

I remember when I had mine in my bowfront, took me forever to find him. He was kinda spooky always looking me up and down.

Yeah these guys are pretty shy so far but I'm hoping they warm up.

I just love the way they're so individual. The little pudgy one is the female, she even looks all kind of curvy and feminine with her little pouty face.

hm11

Looks good, I wanted one of those

JRC3

Mine have shown that activity but I've never had them spawn that I know of. There have been times when my big male would follow one female around exhaustingly and physically held her down.

It is my understand that spawning does happen but rarely. I also understand that suppliers used to breed them for sale, but thet doesn't happen much anymore and they are mostly wild caught, now. I read an article that their numbers are shrinking because of the fish trade. I don't know if I'll ever buy any more because of this even though they are one of my favs.

TheBettaBar

It is my understand that spawning does happen but rarely. I also understand that suppliers used to breed them for sale, but thet doesn't happen much anymore and they are mostly wild caught, now. I read an article that their numbers are shrinking because of the fish trade. I don't know if I'll ever buy any more because of this even though they are one of my favs.

Yeah, I think they're threatened currently Mine are a captive bred pair and they spawned a few times before I got them so hopefully all goes well!

MJDuti

Good to know. Glad I got mine already. Sadly I have 2 females though, so no attempt of breeding will be taking place...

Similar Aquarium Threads

• TheAnglerAquarist
  • Puffers
Replies
Views
emmykenzie
  • Question
10 Gallon Tank Pea Puffer Compatibility?
Replies
Views
BlackOsprey
  • Question
  • Bruinfishkeeper1
  • Puffers
Replies
Views
Bruinfishkeeper1
  • Question
5 Gallon Tank Pea Puffer
Replies