My Parrots are Very Shy

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
They almost never come out of their caves and they only eat once they see the pellets sinking (they never see them floating cause they are always in the caves). I am a little worried about them. How long does it normally take for them to become comfortable in a tank. I acclimated them by floating them for a half hour, adding tank water every ten minutes.

Jake the Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It should takes a month or two for them to get settled. They are just acclimatizing to the tank and the new tank. I recommend you pm Aquarist48 because he keeps them aswell.

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Monmouth said:
They almost never come out of their caves and they only eat once they see the pellets sinking (they never see them floating cause they are always in the caves). I am a little worried about them. How long does it normally take for them to become comfortable in a tank. I acclimated them by floating them for a half hour, adding tank water every ten minutes.
You only just got these guys right? Don't worry, it takes a few days for Cichlids to become used to a new tank. Oscars espeicially don't travel or take to new homes well. Give them a few days and I'm sure they'll be fine. They will probably spend a lot of time in the caves anyway though, as cichlids love caves!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Yes, Bloody Parrots can be very shy for quiet a while. My very first ones took a month to get settled in. Anytime I added a new ornament they would hide again. However, once they come out of hiding and they're comfortable in their environment you won't be able to get them to hide

Give them time, keep feeding the sinking food until their comfortable. Don't over feed simply because you may not see them eating. They won't starve themselves.

Best of luck and please keep us posted.

Ken

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
This evening they came out a little more. I didn't have any sinking pellets, so I gave them water fleas from tetra. They seemed to like that. As long as its normal I wont worry. Thanks guys

Also, the lady at the petco I wen to said that they had the same three (2 of which I bought) since they go their aquariums, which was somewhere around a year ago. So theybmay just be really really not used to so much space since they were in the little store tank so lkmg

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello,

I'm glad to hear they're coming out a bit more. I think you can relax and enjoy your fish. I hope you post some photos for us to see at some point

Ken

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I keep sitting there with the camera but they wont come out of hiding and let me get their picture. As soon as I am able to get one of them I'll post it

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
LOL You may be sitting there for several days lol

I'll be looking forward to your photos when you do get to post them

Ken

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've had my 3 BPs for a while, and still there is one that I call a bloody chicken, instead of bloody parrot, because he still zooms into his cave when he sees us enter the room.

Then there's my other one, Bust-A-Move, who will come to give me kisses if I ask him to. I can also feed him by hand. He literally watches me wherever I am in the room. I swear he's flirting. :-*

As for the camera, and being close to the tank, get yourself something to sit on, so you're not as imposing to them. And keep the camera in the position you need to use it. Don't move it (or yourself) around too much. Sudden movements scare them. When they can see my big dog wandering around, all 3 take for cover.

Can't wait to see pics. They are really special fish.....

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads