My pair flowerhorn are lip locking

Dlondon95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Is it a male/female pair?

I don't know much about flowerhorns, but usually that is aggressive behavior and they are fighting over territory. What size tank are they in?

Lamina

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
its a pair male and female..male 5 inch female 4 inch..tank 78 g..have been keep together with divider for 2 weeks..

Dlondon95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hmm... Did you take the divider out? If so, I would put it back in for the time being.

Dlondon95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well I'm not sure then. It may be part of their breeding behavior. Ill let someone else chime in that knows more about them.

Cichlidnut

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Lip locking is pretty normal Cichlid breeding behavior. They aren't exactly gentle with each other during breeding. Keep an eye on here. She should be ok though.

Lamina

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
im separating them again..the male bullied the female..when they separated the female keep folowing the male..but when i take off the devider they start to fight..

fierofish

Reaction score
My large male female do all the time and are both very healthy. Though I wanna say they try to breed but are sterile. They go through the motions anyways. A lot of people think that means they should be separated and others say that's just a common cichlid thing. Mine do great but not all will. I do need s much larger tank and am searching but they're healthy and still growing.

Rivieraneo

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My large male female do all the time and are both very healthy. Though I wanna say they try to breed but are sterile. They go through the motions anyways. A lot of people think that means they should be separated and others say that's just a common cichlid thing. Mine do great but not all will. I do need s much larger tank and am searching but they're healthy and still growing.
fierofish, please take note of thread dates, this thread has not been active in over 1.5 years. To add to your post, though the locking lips behavior is common when breeding, if not breeding, should be discouraged as it can lead to a bacterial infection of the lips. Closing thread.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom