My Pacu needs help ASAP

1. norcal Initiate Member

Bare with me this is a long story. I got a 15 inch pacu from a woman who saved it from a local pet store who was about to kill the poor guy. Someone had left it in a bucket outside the store door and store policy prohibited employees from adding it to a store tank. The woman took it home but only had a 30 gallon tank, she put an add on craigslist and i got him from her. I have a 100 gallon tank while i either eat a bigger one or find a better home for him. While i was buying and setting up my 100 gallon tank and letting it cycle i had taken the pacu to a friends house with a 100 gallon tank for the meantime. He calls me a few days ago sayin he was sick. So i go there to get him and bring him home and i was shocked! He was missing huge! patches of scales and skin on both sides of him and honestly looked like a rotting dead fish. I took him home and added him to the tank and quickly treated the tank with melafix the only thing i have to try n help. Heres a pick please give me some info on how to help him
    309.jpg
    and that white area is the missing scales,skin

2. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Extremely good water quality, MelaFix, PimaFix and VitaChem are likely to be its best friends.
    Good water quality will let its body concentrate on healing. MelaFix and PimaFix will (hopefully) deal with any fungal or bacterial infections that it may have suffered. VitaChem will give its body the nutrients needed to fight the infections and to regrow damaged bits.

A 100g tank is better than nothing, but in the long run, this guy is going to need a tank that's several hundred gallons, if not an outright pond. As you're nursing him back to health, you may want to see if there's anyone who specializes in this kind of fish (think public aquarium or zoo, or there's a monster fish rescue group that deals with, you guessed it, rescuing monster fish.)

3. norcal Initiate Member

I only took in the fish cus my tank was bigger than a 30 gallon til i can find a suitable home for him. I would like to nurse him back to health before i find him a new home. Thanx for the advice

4. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Definitely a good idea. I just wanted to point out how important a new home was going to be.
    I agree that getting it healthy before subjecting it to another move is a good idea.