My Otos

MamaM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Here is a picture of Rocky (L) & Fred (R), my two Otos! They've been with me a week now. Fred is doing really well, and either Rocky is really really shy, or not feeling so well. But they are cute little buggers!

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They are so cute and look so sweet sitting there together.

Rose

MamaM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well, I have some disturbing news...last night Fred & Rocky died together!!! (Actually, Fred this morning while I was doing the water change after burying Rocky.) Georgie must have died of something that was contagious to them, but I didn't realize it!! I am so sad!

I did a 50% water change today. The Danios & fry are doing great (normal). Is there anything else I need to do to my tank before getting any more Otos on Sunday or Monday? Another water change? Change filter? Please advise! (I'm also posting these questions on fish disease forum.)

Thank you!
Sharon

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A lot of Otos die within the first few weeks for no apparent reason. This isn't the fishkeeper's fault...it's simply because they are treated horribly up until arriving at your home and are just too stressed to make it. They say htey capture Otos by dumping cyanide in the river to stun them, and at the wholesaler they starve because no one knows how to feed them properly. Unless any fish are/were visibly sick I don't see why you can't go ahead and try again with Otos.
Oh...you do have a q tank right?

MamaM

Valued Member
Reaction score
I've got another thread going regarding this in Freshwater Fish Disease, but I wanted to answer you, 0morrokh. I found a dead danio (the other male!) today, so it must be affecting my danios as well as my otos. (Whatever Georgie had affected everyone, obviously.) I don't know what to do. Other than not eating when I fed them today, the danios are acting "normal." They are darting around chasing one another. During the few seconds they stop, I am not able to see any abnormalities on their bodies. I just don't get it. I am so stressed out!!

Oh, and I WAS going to get a q tank (don't have one yet) but we'll see what happens to these 2 remaining fish...I may just have to start over!

Sharon

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I love Otos - they really are so cute!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom