My oto’s spawned and they survived!

noobonics

I bought them to clean the aquascape and they spawned! I’m so happy! It’s a closed ecosystem. I haven’t done a water change in about 8 months, I just top it off and I’m thrilled the water quality is good enough for them to spawn. I don’t feed them either. It’s just 6 ottos and I don’t even know how many shrimp. (Was 8, they also spawned. I culled 50ish and there’s still a LOT)

i don’t know anybody else that would be as excited as me so I had to share with you guys.

Attachments

• 5BFB6ABB-6075-4DB8-AD18-FF5AE18C926C.jpeg
    5BFB6ABB-6075-4DB8-AD18-FF5AE18C926C.jpeg
    299.8 KB · Views: 22

Cue

That’s incredible! How large is the ecosystem? It seems like it must be huge to keep so many fed!

noobonics

That’s incredible! How large is the ecosystem? It seems like it must be huge to keep so many fed!
It’s 30 gallons but there’s a lot of.. stuff in it. About 6” of sand in the back and 4” in the front and a couple good sized pieces of driftwood and a statue. I run pretty high intensity lights about 12 hours a day and kind of adjust it accordingly. I WANT algae to grow.

Attachments

• 3DB0AB30-988B-43E7-B607-2A9D2A233CD5.jpeg
    3DB0AB30-988B-43E7-B607-2A9D2A233CD5.jpeg
    219.2 KB · Views: 17

DoubleDutch

wow that is great

PeterFishKeepin

Welcome To Fishlore :)

that is pretty rare IMO, because otos are normally wild caught, i woulnt cull any more, try raising them and selling them, people dont buy them as often because of wild caught but you could say they are captive breed which loads of people are looking for. WIld caughts dont do to well for a number of reasons also tanks normally dont have enough of the algaes and other forms of foods which otos like. Really well done you should be very proud.

JTW

Very cool. Enjoy watching those fry grow up. Not many people get that opportunity.

jmaldo

Congrats! Not many keepers are successful, curious on your water parameters.
Welcome to the community.

noobonics

Congrats! Not many keepers are successful, curious on your water parameters.
Welcome to the community.
Honestly I don’t monitor it. I know it’s near neutral out of the tap with higher kh.

I just have those cheap strips that only test ammonia and nitrates.

ProudPapa

Welcome To Fishlore :)

that is pretty rare IMO, because otos are normally wild caught, i woulnt cull any more, try raising them and selling them, people dont buy them as often because of wild caught but you could say they are captive breed which loads of people are looking for. WIld caughts dont do to well for a number of reasons also tanks normally dont have enough of the algaes and other forms of foods which otos like. Really well done you should be very proud.

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought noobonics meant he or she has culled shrimp, not otos.

PeterFishKeepin

ProudPapa good observation you might just be right, I may have misunderstood

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Daisytattoo
Replies
Views
Coradee
Replies
Views
GlennO