my oto went ~poof~ Help

Discussion in 'Otocinclus' started by Akari_32, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

my oto went ~poof~ (well, i found her....)

my oto, Ayame, seems to have disapeared. i was gone for two days and the night i came home, i couldnt find her, tho i didnt think anything about it because it was almost 10:00 and my parents hadnt turned the light off, so i figured she was sleeping in a nice dark spot somewhere. but here i am, almost 24 hours later and she still hasnt shown up! i've looked every where i can in the tank with out taking it apart and looked all around it on the floor, and still nothing. where could she possibly be!?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  2. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

I had an oto which went ~poof~ once. I ended up finding it, in the filter box :(

3. bassbonediva

bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

My otos regularly disappear in my 55gal. I see them about once every three or four days. Sometimes I have to hunt for the two in the Hex5 too and that tank doesn't provide *that* many hiding places. Otos are VERY good at hiding. In my 46gal, I'd even find them hiding in the gravel. Test your water every couple of days and if you see an ammonia spike (if you don't want to tear the tank apart), you might have lost your oto.

4. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

to platy ben~ i was in the filter this morning. i thot i saw some babies in there (im expecting guppy fry) and unpluged it n everything. when i was all done and pluged it back in, it decided it was too gunked up with algae to run so i had to clean it... and the intake is too small for am oto to fit in...

to bassbonediva~ im used to otos disapearing for a few days, bacuse my 1st one, Foxxy, would hide for weeks in the 1 1/2 gallon. but its very unlike Ayame to hide for so long. usually its just an hour or so, thats why im kinda freekin' out ^_^'> theres nowhere to hide that cant be seen from some angle of the tank.

i am kinda worried about her not eating enough tho. i went away last weekend to Disney for 4 days and i kno that the fish werent fed enough, so the guppies ate aaaall the algea, and she lost a lot of weight.... i'll do a water change tomorrow and take out the rock cave and bonzai tree and see if i can find her. if not, well, its one of life mysteries i ges :(

5. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

YOU were IN the filter!!! :p Surely that has some Health & Safety issues ;)

6. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

lol how about i was 'looking in it then it decided to stop working'? XD

7. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

so here we are, almost 2 days later, and she still hasnt shown up. not looking too good at the moment... later, i'll take some of the stuff out to see if she got stuck somewhere...

8. peacemaker92

peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Hi Akari,

So sorry you can't find your Otto. I'm sure you'll find her soon. Just keep an eye out for her and don't worry too much. Many of us sometimes have fish that disappear then reappear after a while. I wouldn't think she would've jumped out so she'll surely be in the tank. Will keep you in our thoughts. :;group Best of luck! :;dete

9. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

thanks! <3

10. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

my suspitions have been comfirmed. i moved my rock cave to take a peek under it and there was Ayame, well, 1/2 of her any way. she got stuck under there and then the snails munched on her. oh well, better luck next time right?

11. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

12. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

its alright (well, not for Ayame...). i dont have very good lick with otos... the first one i had, Foxxy, i accidently killed (along with my beloved african dwarf frogs T_T) because i for got water conditioner... thats what happens when u rush thru water changes.... and Ayames boyfriend, Ninja, got stuck to the filter intake trying to get the algea on the inside of the tube (even tho there was more than enough all over the tank. -sigh- next time i'll get some thing a bit more sturdy (tho Foxxy was my fault, i will admit that)... and smarter >.> <.<

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice