My Oto is Carrying eggs!?

kimsch1005

Ahhhhh last night I noticed one of my otos is carrying visible yellow eggs.

I didn't expect that to happen as Ive heard how hard it can be to get them to breed in captivity. I also rarely ever see them as they like to hang out in the depths of the Vallisneria in the back of my tank and usually only scour the carpeting plants once the lights go off.

What should I do? It would be cool to have little baby otos, however I wouldn't be devastated if they don't hatch as I wasn't expecting it in the first place.

I have about 5 amano shrimp and a betta in the tank as well. Im assuming this means they will likely get eaten.

Thanks for any advice in advance

Ghelfaire

Do you have a backup tank for the betta and shrimp? Trying to move the otos or the eggs would be a bad idea.

chromedome52

A female full of eggs does not mean spawning is imminent, just that she's been well-fed. She may find a male to spawn with, as he would be needed to fertilize the eggs as she lays them. She may also just dump them to avoid health problems if other conditions aren't right in the aquarium. Either way, there's a good chance the Betta and the shrimp would eat the eggs or the fry, should they hatch.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
sophi
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
Dch48
Replies
Views