My Oscar Pair Looks To Be A Real Pair

Discussion in 'Oscars' started by OldFort Exotics, Apr 18, 2017.

1. OldFort Exotics

OldFort Exotics Valued Member Member

I have had these for 18-20 months and really enjoying keeping them even if they are a little difficult. Over the weekend they started to act funny but didn't know why and last night I saw the eggs so looks like it was a spawning thing.

My biggest question is could it be two females that layed eggs or does one have to be a male?

I'm not expecting the fry to make it long so I'm thinking about moving some of the other fish out or maybe the fry so they can grow out.

2. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

When Oscars lay eggs, they start out opaque white, which is somewhat unusual in New World Cichlids. It is possible for two females to spawn, but the size of that plaque of eggs suggests that only one female laid. Look at the breeding tubes, females have a visibly larger tube on Oscars. It's the only way to sex them. They seem to be capable of protecting the eggs, if they can chase off a Pleco they will have no trouble from the other Cichlids in the tank. However, I would remove some of the wigglers when the eggs hatch, assuming that they do.

Being their first spawn, there's a chance that the eggs are infertile. If that's the case, they will probably spawn again in a couple of weeks to a month. If it's possible, I would move them to their own tank at that time. If not, be prepared to siphon out the wigglers when the eggs hatch. I would not remove all of them, having some fry will keep the pair bond strong. If you don't have a tank for raising the fry, you may as well leave them and see what happens. However, if the pair manage to protect the fry to the point of swimming, their aggression level will become much greater.

3. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

Keep us updated! This looks interesting :)

4. OP
    OP
    OldFort Exotics

Thanks for the info.

When I saw the eggs I thought they where bad because of the color but I did read that was normal for Oscars. The video was last night and the eggs where there this morning so that is a good sign. But I understand they might be gone quick if they aren't perfect and as the parents learn.

I would like to remove the Oscars but they really freak out if I move them and don't do well alone. I'm going to pull the angles for sure and maybe some of the others.

I noticed the convict and Texas flaring at each other over the weekend and the larger oscar swam in between them and pushed them both back like he was being a peace keeper. Thought it was cool but odd but guess it was keeping the stress down.

I have other tanks I can grow the fry out in so that is my plan. If they didn't freak out so bad I would pull all the other fish but they always hide if alone in the ta k.

5. OP
    OP
    OldFort Exotics

I think the eggs have gone bad. They are still protecting them and when I put my hand in to adjust he rock so I could see they bit me. Didn't really hurt but scared the crap out of me, almost jerked my arm which would have banged my arm around the tank and really hurt.

6. OP
    OP
    OldFort Exotics

Sat morning the eggs where covered with fungus and by Sunday they where gone. :(

I'm torn with how I should feel, part of me is sad the eggs didn't work out and I'm looking forward to their next spawn. But another part is kinda glad I don't have to deal with 200-300 oscar fry right now.

I know from my other cichlid egg layers parents need a few trys to learn to care for them so not too worried about that, and honestly if it never happens I think I would be okay with that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice