My Oscar has HITH! Help

1. oscarthegrouch22 Initiate Member

Hey All,
    I need some help I've been feeding my Red Oscar feeder fish for about 2 months now and I JUST found out thats a horrible thing to do. I've noticed his head had some indention's but I thought it was from hitting the top of the tank. If anyone can tell me how to cure him and some proper diet ideas that would be amazing. I heard spinish blanched was good but he doesnt want any part of that, just spits it out. HELP PLEASE!!!

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

3. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!!!
    can you get a pic of your oscar? some of them have the dents naturally....prestine water (daily partial changes) a better diet (some fresh beef heart pieces, spirulina flakes, high end pellet, fresh raw shrimp pieces, zuchinni, , half a vita min d pill, a full multi vitamin pill all mixed in a blender....mix it with plain gelatin and 3tbs of water and freeze it in cubes) vita chem , and lots of patience will cure him right up...no more feeders unless you raise them yourself :) good luck with your baby!!!!

4. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore, Oscarthegrouch! Excellent advice above.

Convicts are prolific breeders and would be a wonderful provider of "home grown" live food. They only require a 20g for a pair.

Good luck, I hope he gets better soon, and please keep us posted on his progress.

5. oscarthegrouch22 Initiate Member

Thanks for all the help we really appreciate it! Here's a photo of how he looks now. I'm changing his diet around now and just finished a 50% water change with new filters. Thanks for all the advice and support I will keep everyone posted on his progress. Happy holidays.

Attached Files:

6. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Good luck. Your oscar will likely be fine. If all you're seeing are minor indentations, there probably wasn't much harm done.

If you raise your own feeders, be sure that the feeders' water is always clean and that they get a varied, high-quality diet. This will make sure that they are free of disease and have plenty of vitamins and minerals for your oscar.
    However, such a thing usually isn't necessary, and Shawnie's recipe (or any number of similar recipes) is excellent.

7. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

hi, oscar, welcome to fishlore. I'm sorry your fish isn't doing so great.

8. oscarthegrouch22 Initiate Member

I just got back from PetsMart and bought a General Cure anti-parasitic fish medication. I also bought some bloodworms but he doesnt really feel like eating them. Hopefully he gets his appetite back soon, thanks for all the help and support!!!

9. crazedACD Member Member

HITH is not parasitic, adding that medication might actually hurt him (certainly won't help). I believe it is more bacteria related, you would need an antibiotic to help...I think metronidazole is commonly used. Pristine water quality and varied, nutritious, healthy diet is the key to curing it though...

10. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Lateral Line Syndrome (aka HITH) doesn't seem to be bacterial, either. It's more likely similar to scurvy; a degeneration of the body due to missing certain nutrients.

11. crazedACD Member Member

Good to know, thanks! :)

12. oscarthegrouch22 Initiate Member

Oh I only bought it because it said it was to treat Gill & Skin Flukes, Hole-in-the-Head Disease, Anchor Worm, Velvet, and Fish Lice. Here's a picture of the box...let me know if its a bad idea. The directions also stated to take the filter/carbon out during aeration. Let me know what you guys think..Thanks for the help.

Attached Files:

13. erk419 Member Member

What are your water reading? My oscar had the same thing about a week ago but its better now. One of the best things to buy him is cichlid pellets I use the hikari brand it has everything in there that he will need. There are many reasons why an oscar would get HITH but the main causes are poor water quality and poor diet and also a lack of vitiams. The pellets I suggested has all the vitiams he needs. Another thing that will help spped up his recovery is getting your nitrates down as low as you can. Only way to do this is by doing water changes everyday. I would recommend doing 50% water changes a day until its cured which should take about a week. I was able to get my nitrates down to 0 and then hang around 5 to 10. Before doing that though test your tank water to see were your nitrates are then test your tap water and see were they are mine from the tap is 0 what ever yours is thats the lowest you will be able to get it doing water changes. Now as far as medicines go there really is no medcines available over the counter to treat this they may say they do but they dont. If it get to bad it can get affected and then you need to treat for that. There are two medicines avaliable that have been know to work but your need to get a precription from a vet cant recall the names but there for sever cases and from the looks of the picture yours is very miner and by following this instructions should clear up in about a week.