My Orange Molly Fish

MollyMother

Reaction score
My orange Molly mostly sits in this corner of my tank, it’s 120 litre tank, 5 molly’s, 5 minnows, 3 swordtails and 2 bottom feeders. She looks pregnant some days, then deflates, eats quite a bit, but spends nearly all day in this corner, comes out 15 minutes for food and stays here the rest of the time. I don’t know if she is just happy sitting like this or if she’s actually pregnant?

Attachments

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My orange Molly mostly sits in this corner of my tank, it’s 120 litre tank, 5 molly’s, 5 minnows, 3 swordtails and 2 bottom feeders. She looks pregnant some days, then deflates, eats quite a bit, but spends nearly all day in this corner, comes out 15 minutes for food and stays here the rest of the time. I don’t know if she is just happy sitting like this or if she’s actually pregnant?
Hello Mom...

Mollies are the most sensitive of the livebearing fish to even slight changes in their water. It's for this reason, they require large, weekly water changes to keep the chemistry steady. Unusual behavior in a fish is most times, because their water isn't quite clean enough to suit them. If you're not removing and replacing most of the tank water every week, then Mollies won't be their healthiest. Livebearing females can delay dropping their fry until their water is clean enough to ensure survival of their fry. I'd suggest doing a bit larger than normal water change and make the new, treated tap water a little bit warmer. Mollies also prefer a bit of aquarium salt in their water. A rounded teaspoon in every 5 gallons of replacement water is enough to jump start their immune system and all your other fish too. This little bit of salt won't harm any plants you have.

Old

OP
MollyMother

MollyMother

Reaction score
Ahh thanks we do 50% water change each week and add half a cap of prime like the store advised. I’m thinking I just have a lazy fish!! She sits between two leaves and barely moves her tail! It’s like she can’t be bothered! When she comes out she zooms around like something crazy! Quite feisty! Two others go to the same area at night to sleep, but all the other fish are very active all day! Just find it strange! Don’t know if there is something I should be doing? Or if she’s in early stages or pregnancy?

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ahh thanks we do 50% water change each week and add half a cap of prime like the store advised. I’m thinking I just have a lazy fish!! She sits between two leaves and barely moves her tail! It’s like she can’t be bothered! When she comes out she zooms around like something crazy! Quite feisty! Two others go to the same area at night to sleep, but all the other fish are very active all day! Just find it strange! Don’t know if there is something I should be doing? Or if she’s in early stages or pregnancy?
Time will tell!

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Hello Mom...

Mollies are the most sensitive of the livebearing fish to even slight changes in their water. It's for this reason, they require large, weekly water changes to keep the chemistry steady. Unusual behavior in a fish is most times, because their water isn't quite clean enough to suit them. If you're not removing and replacing most of the tank water every week, then Mollies won't be their healthiest. Livebearing females can delay dropping their fry until their water is clean enough to ensure survival of their fry. I'd suggest doing a bit larger than normal water change and make the new, treated tap water a little bit warmer. Mollies also prefer a bit of aquarium salt in their water. A rounded teaspoon in every 5 gallons of replacement water is enough to jump start their immune system and all your other fish too. This little bit of salt won't harm any plants you have.

Old
>most sensitive of the livebearing fish
>would move them straight from fresh to saltwater with no acclimation and never lose any
>would breed like rabbits in coral display at work

Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom