My oranda has a red vein going through her caudal fin, help.

1. O

Orandaman15 New Member Member

Ok so I went and purchased an Oranda goldfish today from petsmart and I noticed that it has a red vein going through its caudal fin and some people say its caused from poor water quality (which is understandable, considering there were like 6 of these guys in a 10 gallon tank). Anyways, here are my water parameters
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 5.0
    ( my aquarium isnt cycled) but I will do frequent water changes to keep those things down. My temp is around 78-79 (I know they prefer colder but I originally had a jack dempsey in their for like 3 days so I had the temp a little high). I have added prime water conditioner. I have Api pimafix and rock salt thats safe for tanks. So what should I do?

2. Beeker

Beeker Well Known Member Member

Your best bet is frequent water changes and keep the water as perfect as possible. No need to add anything other than Prime. The rest of the chemicals and salt will only stress the fish more.
    Another option is to get some Tetra Safe Start and follow the directions on the bottle to cycle your tank. Again, no need to use any other chemicals or salt other than Prime.