My Oh My! Sorority Possibility?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Fanatic, Apr 22, 2018.

1. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

I just finished setting up my female betta's upgrade from a 10 gallon to a 20 long, and I just skimmed across some of the Member Articles and looked at the betta sorority writeup. I was sitting here, and it hit me thinking about the possibility of my own sorority!

Do you think it's a good idea?

2. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

I have expierience with a betta sororitys, and i don't recommend them. I keep mine separate now. They can work, but your always going to have one over agressive betta. If you take out the aggressive betta, then another one becomes aggressive. Don't do it, not worth it for the betta splendens species. However, you can do multiple bettas per aquarium for most wild species of betta, like betta albimarginata.

3. LorekeeperWell Known MemberMember

Being "worth it" is in the eye of the beholder. I know that several people have had great success with sororities, and that as long as you have ways to separate them if the need arises, you should be good to go.

All I'd say is to read on it, and definitely form the tank around what the sorority will need. IE, hiding places, things to break the line of sight, etc.

4. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

@KinsKicks

I do have ways to separate in case of emergencies, and other tanks.
    I will heavily read about it, and consider doing it.

Here's the tank.
    D3CAF859-1474-4666-BEBB-DCE59FBE4CC0.jpg

5. JamieXPXPWell Known MemberMember

i think it is worth it, although it might take time to fully stock it since you will need to find the right females

6. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Yeah, that's correct.
    I will search for all different colors and types, I am prepared to rehome any troublemakers.

7. KinsKicksFishlore VIPMember

It doesn’t hurt to try if you’ve got backup tanks available (usually wen it does go wrong for people, they find the most disaster when they haven’t prepared individual tanks). I’ve had success with all my sororities so far; my advice for them is don’t try to cut corners! It really does help when you buy young and introduce all at once; I’ve found my sibling sorority tank to be the easiest and fastest for the girls to get along. Tanks with plenty of hiding spots is key as well. 99% of the time when I see them go wrong is when people try to add older solitary with new, don’t introduce together, etc.

They’re quite rewarding to have when it does go well; unique type of tank haha

8. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Would it make any difference if I already have a female, and she’s just been added to this tank today?

9. OneLittleBubbleWell Known MemberMember

I don't think you should do a sorority in a 20 gallon tank I would recommend a bigger tank so they don't get stressed out. If you are doing it in a 20 gallon then do the 20 gallon per fish rule so the bettas don't get stressed out.

Oh I didn't see that I would take the female out and acclimate her with the other fish so she doesn't become territorial

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2018
  10. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

I will do that, thank you.
    But, I do not follow the inch per gallon rule, nor does anyone else. It’s extremely inaccurate and outdated.

11. OneLittleBubbleWell Known MemberMember

Oops I meant 10 gallon per fish not 20 haha I do goldfish and that's normally what you do, but it applies to sorority tanks as well so they aren't always flaring up at eachother

12. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

The recommend number for a 20 long is 5-7 girls To spread out any aggression so one fish isnt singled out.

13. LorekeeperWell Known MemberMember

Don't know where you got that one (not even really correct for goldfish, to my knowledge), but as David said, a 20 long is perfectly fine with a small sorority.

14. OneLittleBubbleWell Known MemberMember

The goldfish one is correct as far as my knowledge when speaking small fancies but the betta I'm still new too so I could be wrong but you still want to watch out for flaring

15. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

The recommended for fancy goldfish is 20 gallons for the first and 10 gallons for eachadditional. To say 10 gallons per female betta would allow me to have 7.5 girls in my 75 gallon tank.

16. LorekeeperWell Known MemberMember

My bad, wasn't thinking fancies! Was thinking commons.

17. OneLittleBubbleWell Known MemberMember

Like I said as long as they aren't flaring at eachother after a week or look stressed its probably fine and normally you do 20 gallons for first then 10 gallons additional when they aren't less then 3 inches long so stop trying to argue with me it's annoying I know I may be wrong with the betta so I'm trying to fix how I said it

18. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Im not arguing but i feel the op should get the proper info.

19. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Alright, so today I want to find out if I should create a sorority.

My tank is not finished, it'll need more planting, which I am planning on getting new plants this summer, but this will do fine for now.
    I will add some caves and wood to my tank, along with buying a hood for it too.

20. Crafty CichlidWell Known MemberMember

I enjoy mine, but be careful of the flashiness of the ladies. My elephant ear got trounced, she's in my 5g plant growing tank now. I also have a longer finned one, that I think was a mislabeled male, sh... he... it, is in a breeder net in another tank now, because of over aggression, and I think a run in with a driftwood twig, or the filter intake - tail was bloodied and mangled, very distressing for me (the fish acted like it was nothing though!)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice