My Observation Of Mixed Tetra Schools

Aquaphobia

I haven't sat down and done any rigorous scientific investigation of this but I have a tank with a decent (~15) school of Black Neon tetras and a smaller (5) school of Glowlight tetras. I will be upping the school of Glowlights, not to worry! This is just the way it is for now.

Anyway, there is a predator in the tank, an old and crotchety betta. He kind of half-heartedly chases them around sometimes. So they often stick fairly close together but not as if they're particularly scared. They all hang out together. BUT! The Glowlights I've noticed often hang out together within the school of Black Neons. So they're taking advantage of the security of the larger group but still preferentially hanging out with their own kind.

I think this says something important about stocking when considering whether to mix schooling species or just get one large group. My plan is to split the 2 species in my new place and increase the Glowlights' numbers to something impressive. I think they'll be more comfortable that way.

Kasshan

agreed I observe similar behavior I have 15 green neon 12 cardinals, and 25~neon. they are school in one group happily but in sub groups as well on closed inspection. they will also form a shoal with the 25 rasbora heteromorpha occasionally if the angels get too ornery. but other wise harmony.

Lorekeeper

When I had mixed schools I always noticed the odd fish out hanging behind the rest of the group. Even Neons and Cardinals exhibited this behaviour for me.

Aquaphobia

I have the odd fish out sometimes too

BottomDweller

This is really interesting. I have 8 danios and 8 WCMM but they never hang out together, I guess there's nothing in the tank that scares them.

max h

It's really just the old safety in numbers reaction nature gives them. The larger the group no matter what species it is they safer they are. I've seen similar things diving in the past.

Kasshan

if I didn't have 3 angels I don't think my schools would stay as tight. the angels are hand fed so they lack some aggression now and don't really consider tank mates a meal option yet cuz they so well fed. but their presence causes spectacularly tight shoaling and brilliant coloration. and of course you'll have moments when everyone is lazily scattered about randomly

Aquaphobia

It's really just the old safety in numbers reaction nature gives them. The larger the group no matter what species it is they safer they are. I've seen similar things diving in the past.

I know, it's just that I've seen a lot of threads asking if different species of the same type could be mixed (one of each kind of cory for example) and I was just making the point that while they will hang together for safety, it does indeed seem that they are "happier" with their own kind

max h

I know, it's just that I've seen a lot of threads asking if different species of the same type could be mixed (one of each kind of cory for example) and I was just making the point that while they will hang together for safety, it does indeed seem that they are "happier" with their own kind

They are definitely happier with their own kind.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views
Chris1212
Replies
Views
LyndaB
  • zaqwsx15
  • Tetras