My NPT Fish Tank in a Bottle

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Daac, Jan 1, 2013.

1. DaacWell Known MemberMember

Hello everyone,
    I am pretty sure I already posted about this and I wanted to update it but I couldn't find my thread so here goes... this is my fish tank in a bottle. I recently got a 70 or 80 year old bottle from my dad that I liked and I wanted to make it special... not just a bottle sitting on the counter. So I decided to put a mini natural planted fish tank in it. I put down dirt and then sand, put in some rotala rotundifolia, some dwarf hairgrass, some water, and 3 pond snails and it now looks like the following picture. A neat little project that litterally requires no maintenance at all. Not even water top offs... the opening on top is too small to let the water evaporate at a significant rate. The snails are all very happy and the plants even happier. I just keep them under a cfl natural sunlight bulb along with my other 2.5 gallon NPT... the bulb is 14 watts I think. Just thought I'd share in case anyone else wants to try this out.
    Picture0101131213_1.jpgPicture0101131214_1.jpg

Oh looks like the pictures came up sideways... not quite sure hot to fix that sorry haha... here is what the bottle looked like originally and a little while after that:
    Picture0101131226_1 (1).jpg (originally)
    Picture0101131222_1.jpg (a little after that)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  2. AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

Looks awesome Daac.

How did you manage to plant in the bottle? Is the top opening big enough to put your hands through or did you use tweezers?

3. DaacWell Known MemberMember

Yeah didn't fit my fingers in there haha... I actually used gravity... no water at first. i dropped the plants in and jammed them into the sand with a stick and then put the water in very carefully. It was a bit messy but it actually worked.
    Picture0101131230_1.jpg

4. psalm18.2Fishlore LegendMember

Neat.

5. DaacWell Known MemberMember

Anyone think I could pull off putting shrimp in a 'fish tank in a bottle'? I wouldn't put any in this one because it is wayyyy too small but maybe if I got a big bottle like 1 to 2 Quarts or so?

6. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Good ole gravity :D

7. DaacWell Known MemberMember

Yeah haha it can be both friend and foe.

8. pirahnah3Fishlore VIPMember

really neat idea!

Can I ask the significance of the bottle?

9. AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

Fish-no. Shrimp yes. How a micro thai crab ?

10. DaacWell Known MemberMember

pirahna- what do you mean by the significance of the bottle? If you mean its age and such I don't know a lot but I got it from my dad who got it from either his father or grandfather and I know it to be at least 70 or 80 years old. Other than that I don't know. It is not hand blown because it has a seam on each side and the only markings are 882 and S on the bottom.
    Amazon- what is a micro thai crab? They sound cool... what size bottle could one fit in?

11. AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

Daac, here is a link to a picture of a Thai Micro Crab...I've never kept them, but I want to order some.

12. Mrs.PriceValued MemberMember

Just curious... you do plan on removing the snails before they get too large to fit through the bottle, correct?...

13. DaacWell Known MemberMember

They are pond snails so they won't get that big. And Amazon thanks... I might have to look into getting one myself

14. soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

Pond snails, Super small little guys that love to multiply like rabbits.

15. DaacWell Known MemberMember

Funny thing about the multiplying... I haven't found a single egg sack in that bottle. I think they know not to breed or they will become way to overpopulated.

16. Mrs.PriceValued MemberMember

Ok, *phew* well that's a good thing! (still learning about all of these different snails! :3 )

17. ZeeZWell Known MemberMember

Ohhhh, I"m jealous.

I actually have a bottle... I might do this...

Stop it, Fishlore!

18. DaacWell Known MemberMember

Post pictures if you do!

19. FoulFishesValued MemberMember

Just a warning, I did this with a half gallon jar a while ago, and my Pond Snails continued to multiply to the point that I decided to tear it down.

Still dig the idea though.

20. throwthesandValued MemberMember

That's really pretty :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice